Views: 3589|Replies: 11

Chinese Calligraphy [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-11-8 15:17:59 |Display all floors
So, I hate to ask, but is calligraphy the same thing as writing chinese *characters*?

I mean, I can see that calligraphy is also considered an art from this link:
http://www.asia-art.net/calligraphy_tech.html

But, what I can't see is the difference between the Chinese characters on the link above and what I'd see on a chinese webpage.

Are they the same thing, but when written a certain way (context, material, etc), it is considered calligraphy/art?  Am I not paying close enough attention to the differences?

I'm asking because I clearly knwo little about the subject.  And, because I'm taking a mandarin course at a college (finally have the time) next semester and they also offer a course on Chinese calligraphy that is a basic one and seems very interesting.  My asking is also due to wanting to knwo (cuz I'm impatient) if the calligraphy will help with learning how to write mandarin(not pinyin).

And oh, in Chinese schools do they place an emphasis on Pinyin or traditional Chinese writing?

This is a multi-purpose thread, ppl!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-8 15:22:21 |Display all floors

Hope this helps you a bit.

we don't practice Calligraphy on Pinyin. Calligraphy is about Chinese  characters. In primaty schools, students have chinese Calligraphy class.
Hope this helps you a bit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-8 15:31:13 |Display all floors

sinfulgirl

"""we don't practice Calligraphy on Pinyin. Calligraphy is about Chinese characters. In primaty schools, students have chinese Calligraphy class.
Hope this helps you a bit.""

you don't practice calligraphy  on (or?) Pinyin??  But yo later suggest you do study it.  Umm, yeah, am I not understanding you?

thx for the quick response~!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-8 15:45:40 |Display all floors

To understand Calligraphy, one must understand chinese words,chinese culture

and the symbols of the brush strokes. (thick or thin lines, divine eyes or for protection, strenght of the strokes,etc.........)

It is more than drinking tea.
The conversations in between.
The atmosphere.

Calligraphy are most popular during chinese new year, inviting scrolls enteasing heaven to shower happiness all year long.....

Hope you can appreciate it( with lots of patience....   )

Kind regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-9 01:52:13 |Display all floors

caringhk

Yes, I certainly do respect the skill that is required to do such.

I may be wrong, but in the movie Hero (with ziyi zhang), wasn't that calligraphy that she was doing with the stick and sandbox and all???

But, what is different between the letters she drew in the sand versus someome writing the letters on paper?  Are these 'characters' different is my question.

Either way, the course seems fun, not very intesne, more like art, and I will take it if I can get my  job to work with me....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-9 23:41:29 |Display all floors

You have made a good start

>>>So, I hate to ask, but is calligraphy the same thing as writing chinese *characters*?<<<
No.  They are different.  Foreigners see Chinese calligraphy as pictures or arts.  Actually they're just normal Chinese characters, but writing with a brush in a certain way( consistency, stree or dub etc. )with black think ink.  Kinda like drawing water color pictures.

>>>Are they the same thing, but when written a certain way (context, material, etc), it is considered calligraphy/art? Am I not paying close enough attention to the differences?<<<
A same content can be written in different ways, so looks like different calligraphy/art.

>>>I'm asking because I clearly knwo little about the subject. And, because I'm taking a mandarin course at a college (finally have the time) next semester and they also offer a course on Chinese calligraphy that is a basic one and seems very interesting. My asking is also due to wanting to knwo (cuz I'm impatient) if the calligraphy will help with learning how to write mandarin(not pinyin).<<<
Dude, you have made a good start to learn Chinese. The calligraphy definitely will intrigue foreigners to learn Chinese. Almost every Chinese kids are taught to learn calligraphy since very young age in kindergarten or primary school.  In recent years, we abolish brush to pen or ballpen as the writting tool.

>>>And oh, in Chinese schools do they place an emphasis on Pinyin or traditional Chinese writing?<<<
Chinese kids are taught to learn Pinyin first and Chinese characters writing second.  Traditional Chinese writing are taught in Taiwan, and simple Chinese writing are taught in mailand China.

Hope it helps.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-10 04:05:08 |Display all floors

wow!

thanks sophiezq!

So, you must have the tools/kit to do calligraphy?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Chinese calligraphy is like a rare, exotic flower in the history of Asian civilization. Graphically, it can be compared to painting in its ability to evoke emotion through a variety of form and design. From a practical point of view, it is a tool of everyday living. The practice of Chinese calligraphy is thought to instill discipline and patience. Set includes five brushes, an ink stick, an ink stone, a water dish and mixer, a chop and a brush rest. It is presented in a fan-shaped, crush velvet-lined brocade box. 8.5" width X 6" height." http://www.asianideas.com/chincalkit.html

http://store1.yimg.com/I/asianideas_1869_10466876

This one on the link above is only 15USD...is that a good deal?   Seems really cheap.   Is there anything imparticular to look for when buying such a kit?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.