Views: 6555|Replies: 5

My Personal View as a Native UK [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-8-18 11:06:30 |Display all floors
History teaches us everyday especially in our paid day jobs - that if we enjoy doing something, we are greatly advantaged in the sense that we find it easier to comprehend and advance our knowledge of whatever we do - and of course learn more.

Learning English is the same and should be fun - it should be an enjoyable experience and one should assume gratification on finally conquering the meaning of a particularly difficult passage in a book etc.

I think personally, rushing in at the deep end and wrestling with the grammar can be a turn-off.  You have heard the saying 'Rome was not built in a day'.  A person learning English should not push themselves too hard to the point where it is a bad experience.

'Practice proves perfect' this is another saying.  In other words - the more you actually use English either by writing or orally (speaking it), the more that you will learn, and the more you will see where you made small spelling mistakes, or grammar mistakes in the past.

When learning English becomes a bore, or too difficult then it is time to slow down and perhaps do a bit of revision on what you do know.  Do not worry about making grammatical or spelling errors in these forums - we at least can see that you are trying your best.  Sometimes you just need a slight nudge in the right direction.  And there are many bright minds that contribute to the forum that will help you.

Do please refrain from using abbreviations or acronyms unless they are really necessary - for example BTW (by the way), U (you), Ur (your) - this type of language was spawned by the advent of text messaging using mobile phones.  It is mostly used in English speaking countries and is gradually creeping into the written word, especially in Bulletin Board and Forums on the Internet - it only shows a lack of grammar and belittles the originator.

I see more and more words with an apostrophe (') creeping into the Chinadaily forums, while this is fine if you are printing the quoted text of someone (and if it is quoted text - it should be in quotes (")).  For example:  You can either write (1) My friend George asked me how I felt this morning. Or (2) This morning my friend George asked "How're you this morning Lee?"  You see what I mean. Only use the shortened version of the word if you want your writing to sound the exact way that George said it – rather than you relating the story of it.

When you see a post from someone and it is full of errors – do not belittle them, but answer them by correcting their errors first (if you can); don’t forget they are just trying their best.  After correcting the errors – you can proceed to answer their original question (If you were able to comprehend it).  Belittling someone because their first post was bad English – especially if you tell them this -  may frighten them from ever posting again – you may ruin their confidence for life.  And they may never want to continue learning.

Don’t forget –  although English is spoken in the UK (Great Britain), but even here it was made up from a variety of other languages mainly from early conquerors of the Islands of the UK (Angles, Normans, Saxons from France, Vikings from Scandinavian countries like Denmark and Norway, Romans who also brought a Latin and Greek influence – I could go on).  It is a language that is ever evolving – if you think of countries like Australia, India, and North America, these are only a handful of countries that have adopted English and modeled it to their way – you even find diversity in some of the grammar and spellings.  No doubt Chinese English will evolve and incorporate some of your country’s culture and expressions – if not pronunciation, grammar and spelling.  In my opinion I see you adopting your own Chinese English language along with your other Chinese languages – not to take over completely, but to run alongside as an additional language.

Wasn’t this what Esperanto was supposed to do, alas, it didn’t quite take off did it?  So now we have English.  Chinese English that is – China’s form of English.

This is only my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-18 11:45:36 |Display all floors

well said!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-18 12:54:16 |Display all floors

Terryfoy,waiting for your help:)

In the absence of any knowledge of dinosaur colors, Mike based the pigments on the camouflage displayed by animals living in similar environments today.

Absolute truths in paleontology are often elusive, and even filmmakers were surprised at the fierce arguments that split the scientists when an initial brainstroming session was else.

If the audience for the first episode is anything to go by, this film may well live up to its hype.

What are the meaning of those three sentences? Thanks for your clearing out my confusion:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-19 09:42:52 |Display all floors

You are off topic here but I'll try and help

You have gone ‘off topic’ here – in other words your questions should be in another part of the forum as they do not relate to the subject of the thread.  The Forum moderators usually move posts to the appropriate part of the forum, they might do so here.  Anyway, I will try and help.
Your statements:
In the absence of any knowledge of dinosaur colors, Mike based the pigments on the camouflage displayed by animals living in similar environments today.

Absolute truths in paleontology are often elusive, and even filmmakers were surprised at the fierce arguments that split the scientists when an initial brainstroming session was else. ????

If the audience for the first episode is anything to go by, this film may well live up to its hype.

What are the meaning of those three sentences? Thanks for your clearing out my confusion:)

My answer:
We do not know what color the dinosaur skin was, so Mike guessed that their skin color would be the same as the surrounding environment - similarly to creatures today that are colored green that live in the foliage of trees, or lizards that are colored grey that live in rocks.

It is difficult to determine the true facts in paleontology.  Movie Directors were surprised at how individual scientists disagreed on what was true fact, and what was fiction - regarding knowledge about the history of dinosaurs.  

(The latter part of the statement does not make sense – ‘when an initial brainstroming session was else’).  I think perhaps you have made a mistake here. For your information the word ‘brainstorming’ is a term used to describe a difficult mental task (you have to use your brain a lot).

If we accept the praise from the people who seen the first show, then we can accept the pre-advertised reviews that claimed the show was very good.

Hope this helps.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-19 15:45:40 |Display all floors

Much thanks to you, terryfoy!!!

Thanks for your clear explanation!!!

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2012-3-20 09:02:43 |Display all floors
don't listen.. The OP is suffering from small man's disease....Sometimes called the Irish Curse..  
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.