Views: 21326|Replies: 41

Is watching Amercian Film good for our english learning? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-1-11 15:52:26 |Display all floors
Hello everybody,

i am crazy about TV and VCD, etc. but i always forget to read the english, reduce the interest in english learning,

i always dream if i can put the same energy in reading instead of watching TV, that would be wonderful. and today i wonder whether the Amercian films are good for us, although i can't catch all of them,but i think i will increase the sense of language little by little, yes? do you agree with me?
or every kind-hearted person,could you suggest me how to solve my problem,  Appreciate you in advance.

May you have good aim in the new year.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-11 16:19:35 |Display all floors

Good for your listening comprehension.

But only American English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-11 16:27:12 |Display all floors

it is just a part of learning english

Hi,
Watching English film can help us, but I don’t think it is the best way to learn English. It is an kind of language, we’d better use it, that is reading, listening, speaking and writing. Watching cd or dvd is just part of learning English. On the other hand, it is a good method, because we can learn much pure words and expressions through the films, and the standard pronunciation.
Good luck for you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-11 21:02:43 |Display all floors

american films

Well if you consider the degradation of english in american films over the years ,I would not consider it a vialable option. But the major point of contention is that one opens onself to an american viewpoint of the world, which is not only distiorted but also hypocritical. The American importation of culture and lifestyle is not only base but enticingly dangerous. Reading stimulates the mind more and thereby more effecive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-11 22:58:08 |Display all floors

It is a good way to learn English

In my opinion, it is a good way to learn English, because the person who speaks  is a standard prononciation, and the speed is very normal. If you stick to watching Foreign movies , your listening will be inproved greatly, and you also can imitate the prononciation when you catch the point of  the speakers say.  Once , we asked one of my teachers why hers English sounded so beautiful ,and she replied to watch foreign moives.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-12 03:23:44 |Display all floors

it's good

hey i think watching american films is good for our english learning because
1) the pronunciation is accurate
2) the english is natural

that's a kind of authentic material.

from the films we can really know how different words are used, sometimes we learn words that are no longer used by native speakers.
for example
"scold" --> native speakers actually dont use it often now, they use "tell off" instead. this is something that the book doesnt tell us. we can learn it only through observation of native speakers' talk

hey but there's one thing very important that you need to bear in mind, that is the FORMALITY
usually the language used in films is rather informal
when you want to use the language in your daily life, make sure the formality is suitable for the context

Use magic tools Report

freewill has been deleted
Post time 2004-1-12 15:09:05 |Display all floors

:)

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.