Views: 7381|Replies: 19

Why commercial advertising in China is full of faces of foreigners? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-6-21 14:59:06 |Display all floors
I'm a Malaysian Chinese. Malaysia is a multi-races country, races is a big market segmentation factor. Hereby, If we have a product to introduce, and the targeted market segment is say Malaysian Indian, then we use Indian artists, or players in the ad to cater for the market. But, what I see in China is different ( Limitation: I'd only visited shanghai,Wuxi, Nanjing, ShuZhou, Hangzhou,  or perhaps other places is China is not the same?!), is the "Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" kinda value set deeply implant in the mindset of most Chinese in China?  Pls comment!

Rgdsn
Weilian

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-21 16:19:29 |Display all floors

Reply: Why commercial advertising in China is full of faces of foreigners?

I have the same question to ask.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-21 16:59:03 |Display all floors

This time...

maybe the grass is greener.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-21 22:15:55 |Display all floors

White faces, and all that implies.....

For those who aren't here in China, I believe that when weilian is talking about foreigners, he really means WHITE foreigners (at least those are the only ones that I see in advertisements).  Good thing as the shock of seeing a Black or Latin foreigner represented would probably send me into cardiac arrest.

The sad fact is that many Chinese associate WHITE skinned people  with Western Europe and American cultures AND believe that all things from those cultures are superior to their own.

In fact some aspects of the Western cultures are superior, but not all.  Just as some aspects of the Eastern cultures are superior, but not all.

Fisherman, you and I both know that the grass is green (and brown) on both sides.

By the way, I'm one of the white foreigners (blond hair & hazel eyes) here in China and I can tell you that I'm most often embarassed by the obsessive nature of these ads.  You know the old saying about how if you repeat a lie often enough....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-21 22:31:58 |Display all floors

Mr. Wei liang - Let me tell you my opinion!!!!!!

The Chinese Advertising Industry copied the Japanese people on this "trick".

The Japanese people didn't use "White faces" or actually "American faces" for fun. They have an aim!

You might not believe me, but subconsciously....it is to remind the Japanese people...who defeated their nation, who they now need to mimic and improve to catch up.........

Or what many says as ROLE MODELs..

It is a "trick", a manipulation to help their nation.

Even in Japan, now you see more and more JAPANESE FACES in their advertisings........

cheerios!

Game Master
Lord of the code.

Note of caution: Only a personal opinion. It could be right or wrong. We need a Japanese advertising oldie to tell us the real reasons. The Chinese advert people just copied the Japanese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-22 09:26:28 |Display all floors

Dean....I do agree with you

"Fisherman, you and I both know that the grass is green (and brown) on both sides."

...but maybe the grass is a little greener here. You should know you have lived in both places.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-23 01:17:33 |Display all floors

send them home

we need to send these shitkicking foriegn 'teachers' home back to rock they crawled from..

we no need there stupid ugly face on our billboard advertisements in the street --there ugly face make accident with trafic!

there face should be on cigarete ashtrays...then we can stump out our cigaretes on there white stupid ugly faces

white trash shitkickers go home!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.