Post time 2005-6-7 15:19:03 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-7 16:40:42 |Display all floors

私人秘书

私人秘书

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 09:16:58 |Display all floors

Individual Secretary

My guess: "Individual Secretary" is a corrupt form of "rivate Secretary", a literal translation of what is popularly known as 个人秘书in Hong Kong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 09:33:18 |Display all floors

I get proof

個人秘書/董事的姓名Name of Individual Secretary/Director
Here is this website:http://www.info.gov.hk/cr/download/word00/d2a.doc

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 09:44:55 |Display all floors

thank you, i love you all

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 10:24:49 |Display all floors

Hold your horses!

There are two issues here:

1. The translation of "individual"
2. The translation of "secretary", as in Corporate/Company Secretary.

Let me explain.

1. The translation of "individual"

Individual Secretary does not mean private secretary私人秘书。A secretary or director can be a individual/natural person 个人/自然人 or a legal person法人。As you can see in the HK form in the above link, there is a section for individual secretary/director and another section for corporate (legal person) secretary/director. The use of the term Corporate Secretary here is not appropriate either, but that's another issue, which I will explain in point 2 below.

個人秘書/董事的姓名Name of Individual Secretary/Director
- Here it is asking you to fill in the name of the individual (natural) person (not the legal person) who was the secretary/director and has left the company.

法人團體秘書/董事的中文及英文名稱        Chinese and English Names of Corporate Secretary/Director
- Here it is asking you to fill in the names in English and Chinese, of the legal person who was the secretary/director and has left the company.

Since Individual Secretary 个人秘书 can be easily misinterpreted as private secretary 私人秘书 (more so in the Chinese version), and Corporate Secretary has another meaning, I would revise them, if I were designing the form, as follows:

自然人秘书/董事Name of Natural Person Secretary/Director.
But the English version can use Individual because it is not confusing. I used Natural Person to contrast it with Legal Person below.

and

法人秘书/董事Chinese and English Names of Legal Person Secretary/Director

But since as a translatot you can't change the original text, I would consider translating
Name of Individual Secretary/Director
as 秘书/董事个人姓名

2. The translation of "secretary", as in Corporate/Company Secretary.

The translation of secretary 秘书 in this context is incorrect. Secretary here refers to Corporate/Company Secretary and it should be 书记。However, 秘书 has been widely used so I will go along with it, as long as one understands that it is not the same as a 秘书 sitting pretty outside the boss’s office.

A corporate secretary is a very high-ranking company official. Using the communist party as an analogy, this is equivalent to the 中央书记处书记, which is also called secretary in English. Since a company usually has only one corporate secretary, this is like 中央书记处第一书记,below 主席/总书记, but miles above 总书记的私人秘书! (he is also important)

Sometimes you have to go along with the accepted practice in translation, but understanding and conveying the true meaning of the original text is also important.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 10:27:12 |Display all floors

a ?

?
I often thought HKers are more fluent in English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.