Author: 123456

Shall we use Chinese English instead of Chinglish? They are different! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-6-8 16:39:18 |Display all floors

123456 is an erudite scholar!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 17:36:39 |Display all floors

to 123456

I myself have secretly suspected that's how the word "Chinglish" was coined, but never found any proof or source. Could you give us some articles on that? Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 18:48:46 |Display all floors

I learned it from experience.

If you need further proof, ask some of the older Americans. But that is a very rude term, they may not feel comfortable to tell you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 23:24:27 |Display all floors

Chinglish, so what?

Chinglish, a portmanteau of the words Chinese and English, is any poor or non-standard English spoken or written by native Chinese speakers.

In early and mid-20th century, Chinglish was derogatorily called "pidgin" (洋泾浜) in Chinese. But with the passage of time, Chinglish is by and large no longer considered a racist or bigoted term and should not be taken as such.

Although most Chinglish phrases originated from poor English, plenty of Chinglish phrases were created as language humor. From time to time, writers throughout the world employ Chinglish as a powerful tool to entertain readers of many kinds, and to introduce China and its culture to the world.

Let’s open the door see mountain, Chinglish is everywhere with its five flowers and  eight doors. It is a linguistic phenomenon of historic significance. It is impossible to get rid of it. So, be it.

If you believe you can put an end to Chinglish, you go and see see lah. You must be kidding!

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2005-6-9 07:44:00 |Display all floors

I agree with abc...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-9 08:43:06 |Display all floors

Hi

In fact, what ever happened? It's development of language.
From ur discussion, I learned something but more puzzled. Nobody gives us substantial  proof.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-10 23:25:16 |Display all floors

I have never hear about the "chinglish" and I don't think its fanny

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.