Author: flotsam

muzeseeker: The Chinese Pirate DVDs [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-6-11 07:42:45 |Display all floors

Not as fishy as your weak arguments.

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-13 01:38:28 |Display all floors

The fish rots from.....

Flotsam, you are disingenuous to the nth degree.

File-sharing programs are for...sharing files. If users decide to share out the latest movie or album, who is to blame? The software manufacturer or the user in question? If I kill a pedestrian with my nice new car, who is to blame, me or the car manufacturer?

Now, if I host a site to distribute pirate movies, am I more responsible than the manufacturer of file-sharing software?

Let's take it a stage further: if I run a market that subsidises itself predominantly through the sale of pirate CDs and DVDs, do I contribute more to copyright piracy than the manufacturers of file-sharing software?

I realise, of course, that asking you these questions is a complete waste of time, as you more than likely won't answer them, but instead engage in an ad hominem attack (''lying westerner", etc). But, ever the optimist, I'll give it a shot.

You can answer my previous questions whenever you’re ready, BTW.

Yes, I stand by my assertion that there are numerous pirate sites evident in China, and no, I'm not going to name them. I'm sure you know the URLs. If I DID post the URL, the mod would (rightly) censor the post, and if (s)he didn't, you would accuse me, a foreigner, of assisting in copyright piracy.  

"I could just as easily say there are American government organisations where they promote paedophilia with babies and then eat them."

If it makes you happy to post such, go for it. It would be no worse than most of the other nonsense you offer by way of "argument".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-13 08:08:31 |Display all floors

The BSer rots from the brain outward.

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-17 23:56:45 |Display all floors

Flotsam....

Extraordinary.

Flotsam tries every trick in the book to avoid answering my questions. Rather than address the issue, he (she?) prefers to throw out a selection of fallacies...

"The BSer rots from the brain outward"

An "Ad Hominem" fallacy. Not worth responding to, Flotsam.

“Napster..Kazaa…”

A red herring, Flotsam. Yes, these programs allow the capacity for piracy, and only a fool would claim otherwise. However, their express purpose is not the same as the afore-mentioned Chinese sites dedicated to distributing copyright material, nor can they be compared to the Chinese markets that stock naught but pirated music and movies. This point has little to do with the matter under discussion, and if that’s the best you can do, you are indeed in a poor position.

"Next you'll be inventing bunker buster bombs and saying "Oh! I didn't know you could use these for killing people." “I could just as easily say there are American government organisations where they promote paedophilia with babies and then eat them.” "

This is known as the "Straw Man" fallacy. Misrepresent your opponents position, and attack the misrepresentation. An attack much beloved of the intellectually feeble. Why is Flotsam using it?

"Because you're making it up as you go along."

Argumentum ad ignorantiam. If I cannot prove my argument (re: pirate sites in China), it must therefore be false. I have already stated why I cannot offer proof on this forum for my claim that sites hosting pirate content are well-known in China, but I shall leave it to the independent reader to look into the matter themselves and draw their own conclusions.

Rather than waste any more time on Flotsams diversionary tactics, I will put my main point forward again:

"My original concern with your comments was that you seemed to be implying that foreigners were solely, or at least predominantly, responsible for copyright piracy in China. Can I ask, is this indeed your position? If so, can you explain why you say this?"

Can you answer these questions please, Flotsam?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.