Author: iluv2fish

When is the "Chinese Memorial Day"? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-5-31 22:46:45 |Display all floors

Yes I would

"If I ask you the same question "when is the "American Qing Ming"?", what would you answer me?"

Of course I would. You can ask me any question about the USA and I would be happy to answer you the best way I can.

I do not understand why the Chinese are so hesitant to answer questions. There seems to be reluctance and I do not understand why.
I asked can you see the Dust from the dust storms or tell me an experience about the dust storms and was told to mind my own business. I also said, living here in Florida I experience Hurricanes and would be happy to talk about my experiences.
What's up Chinese people? There is something I can not put my finger on but I think we are having a failure to communicate.
I know on this site it is "tit for tat" and I can roll with that, but if anyone could be genuine about open discussion and not attack mm or my country I would find it refreshing.
Any questions?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-31 22:49:49 |Display all floors

Now you got me going

I don't hear on this site any Chinese asking questions about America. I hear people calling my president names. I hear Chinese people calling my country names. How can I react but to try and defend and attack myself?
If that is the way it is than so be it but I for one do not hate the Chinese people or their country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-1 08:16:50 |Display all floors

Fish

Where does your complain come from? Didn't I answer your question?

You need to read more English to understand English even though English is your first languange. what I tried to tell you was - your question is not a proper question. The holidays in every country come from different history and culture. And check your tone "... we have memorial day for the fellen heros, do you have it?" Isn't it rud and arrogent?

You have not answered my question - we have Qing Ming, do you have it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-1 08:30:48 |Display all floors

Good point I'll debate this with that in mind

The US celebrates the life of Major Robert Rogers for his famed American  book that although he was English has inspired the US Armed forces to include in it's teaching for he fought in the French and Indian war.  The Americans never accepted him into Gen. Washingtons Continental Army (fearing he a spy) and he returned to England where he was not celebrated at all.  His name comes up every Memorial Day in America from now on because they have erected a statue to him in the state of New York , USA.  A movie was made about his life from his book the Northwest Passage of Rogers Rangers.  Every nation has different heros for their different histories.  The English history vs. the American history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-1 09:20:36 |Display all floors

Memorial Day US history-English history in the New World

Memorial Day plan to unveil statue criticized
Veterans say honoring fighter loyal to England is insensitiveThe Associated Press
Updated: 11:59 a.m. ET May 28, 2005FORT EDWARD, N.Y - Maj. Robert Rogers, the frontiersman whose 18th century manual on guerrilla warfare has become a blueprint for Army Ranger fighting tactics, is getting what some consider a long-overdue honor: a statue in his memory.

But some veterans believe unveiling the monument on Memorial Day is insensitive because Rogers was loyal to England during the Revolutionary War.

“I think it’s a travesty that we would think about honoring a person, especially someone who fought against us, on that day,” said Bob Bearor, who served in the Army’s 101st Airborne Division in the 1960s. “It’s a sacred day. ... Let’s honor our dead who died for our country.”

The life-size bronze statue is scheduled to be unveiled during a ceremony on Rogers Island in the Hudson River, 40 miles north of Albany. The island served as the base camp for Rogers’ Rangers during the late 1750s, when the British and French fought for control of North America.

'Standing orders'
The statue will stand near the site where Rogers penned “Rules of Discipline,” a common sense guideline for battling the French and their Indian allies in the North American wilderness in 1757. Also known as Rogers’ “Standing Orders,” the rules have been boiled down over the years from 28 to 19 and are still used to train soldiers at the Army Ranger School at Fort Benning, Ga.

Rule No. 1 of Rogers’ manual, popularized and paraphrased in the novel, “The Northwest Passage,” is, “Don’t forget nothing.” Another rule, No. 15, is “Don’t sleep beyond dawn. Dawn’s when the French and Indians attack.”

Although some veterans say they have no qualms with the Rogers statue, Bearor and others say they are upset over a local developer’s plans to unveil the statue Monday, when the nation honors its war dead.

Bearor says Rogers, a New Hampshire-born frontiersman who led his Rogers’ Rangers on guerrilla raids for the British during the French and Indian War, turned against his fellow Americans in the Revolutionary War.

Timing in question
But organizers of the May 30 event defend the timing, saying that holding it on the holiday allows the greatest number of local dignitaries and the public to attend.

The local newspaper, the Post-Star of Glens Falls, has editorialized against the Memorial Day ceremony, but some veterans aren’t so vexed. “I don’t see any problem,” said Harold Murray, commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Glens Falls. “That’s going quite a ways back in history.”

Richard Fuller is caretaker of the private portion of Rogers Island where the statue will stand. The property is owned by retired construction executive Frank Nastasi of Syosset. Both men are veterans and neither believes that holding the event on Memorial Day shows disrespect for America’s war dead, Fuller said.

But the head of a group of former and active-duty Rangers argues the although tribute may be well-intended, it is problematic.

“Memorial Day? They’re not thinking that through,” said retired Army Capt. Steve Maguire, president of the U.S. Army Ranger Association. “It just seems like I would try a different day.”

Military legacy
Although he doesn’t deny Rogers’ military legacy, Bearor, a French and Indian War re-enactor and author of several books on the conflict, questions holding a Memorial Day tribute to a man who George Washington didn’t trust.

Fearing Rogers was a British spy, Washington turned down his request to join the Continental Army at the outset of the American Revolution. Rogers went on to raise a company of loyalist rangers, but failed to have the impact he had in the previous war. A heavy drinker, he died a pauper in England in 1795 and lies buried somewhere beneath the streets of London.

“Even the English don’t look at him as a hero,” Bearor said. “They buried him in an unmarked grave.”

Controversy aside, a tribute to Rogers is long overdue, said Stephen Brumwell, a British author whose latest book, “White Devil,” details the most famous exploit of Rogers’ Rangers: the 1759 revenge raid on an Abenaki Indian village in Quebec. The raid that inspired the 1826 novel “The Last of the Mohicans,” by James Fenimore Cooper.

“He earned his statue the hard way,” Brumwell said in a telephone interview from his home in the Netherlands. “While others were sitting out the French and Indian War in Boston and New York, he was leading patrols into enemy territory, often in the very depths of winter.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-1 10:28:13 |Display all floors

"we have Qing Ming, do you have it?" ...Luf

Arrogant? I can not see how you can hear my tone, I just asked a question. Was assuming you knew what "Memorial day?the arrogant part? Quick question, did you know what "Memorial Day" was in the USA?

If you asked me do we have "Qing Ming" I would have answered, I don't know, what is that day. I like to hear from you Luf as it seems you are genuine. We Americans tend to think everyone knows about the USA and just maybe they don't. Also, please understand that in America we tend to take "short cuts" when speaking. What I did mean to say was "do you have a day like Memorial Day in China". We speak in slang and shortcuts and maybe it's difficult to follow. I hope you can hang.

Anyway, no we do not have a day like Qing Ming day. Our Memorial Day is dedicated just to the military and the veterans of the military. I really don't know why we do not have a day for civilians. A day of honoring civilians that have pasted on that is.
Here in the USA it is just kept personal. On the birthday of a loved one that has passed on, we as a family will go to the grave with flowers and honor them. During the year each child will go up to the gravesite on occasion and keep it clean or take flowers up to it to honor them. I personally like to link a death with something alive...like a tree. My father in law passed about 2 years ago and I dug up one of his orange trees and planted in my yard.
When I look at the tree and see the fruit it brings good memories. When I see a little bird on it I think it might be him in spirit. As it grows it makes me happy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-1 10:33:55 |Display all floors

BH only you...

could bring up something controversial about this question. Well maybe not just you, but you get my point. I guess its back to "tit for tat".

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.