Views: 10164|Replies: 34

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-5-27 01:12:57 |Display all floors
Ok, I was going to ask this just a couple days ago but thought it was too stupid of a question...well, now i'm asking.

What is the purpose of MSG and how are you supposed to apply it?  

I was always told it's an unhealthy salt alternative and to avoid foods that use it, which happens to be Chinese food.

Recently, a Chinese person told me it's not salt-like and is actualy a kind of sweetner.  Well, their english isn't so great, so maybe they didn't understand the difference between sweet/sour.

Today I read this article from msn.com that it can cause headaches.

"""""While some people are sensitive to foods themselves, others get headaches from food additives like monosodium glutamate (MSG), an amino acid salt used for flavor and preservation, and aspartame, an artificial sweetener. """""

http://managingmigraines.msn.com/article.aspx?aid=14&GT1=6528

Any insight into this most pressing matter would be nice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-27 01:51:32 |Display all floors

I hear aspartane is carcinogenic ...

And it's that they put in all those 'light' products.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-27 03:32:52 |Display all floors

Monosodium Glutamate is a flavour enhancer

Like all food and food ingredients Monosodium Glutamate can have negative effects on some people's health. Unfortunately it's used in more and more food products as a flavour enhancer because it's cheap.

It's a very cheap and convenient way for the food industry to give their heavily processed food products a stronger flavour. During processing the food looses a lot of flavour and taste, and Monosodium Glutamate is much cheaper than spices.

The reason why I dislike and try to avoid food prepared with Monosodium Glutamate is because of the intensive taste it leaves on my tongue, even after 1 or 2 days.

Monosodium Glutamate? No thanks!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-27 11:12:58 |Display all floors

MSG

It's quite heaviely used in the west too. Most processed meat (saussages etc.) has it.

In China it is also used a lot in Restaurants, unfortunately. They have just forgotten how to prepare authentic dishes. With MSG in it everything tastes the same. Remeber that chinese cooking uses only very few spices compare to Thai or Indian cousine.

But you can always ask for 'Mei Yo Mei Jing', and sometimes you are lucky and they really don't use it. Note: some restaurants don't use it at all, mainly those in ***** Hotels.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-27 16:11:22 |Display all floors

Hey mike,

MSG - Wei Jing in Chinese - used to be made from vegetables but now it is made from bacteria - and it is suspected that the baceria are genetically altered.

Here is what the "Encyclopedia of Common Natural Ingredients Used in Food, Drugs, and Cosmetics" has to say:

"Currently, most of the world production of [monosodium glutamate] is by bacterial fermentation. In this method bacteria (especially strains of Micrococcus glutamicus) are grown aerobically in a liquid nutrient medium containing a carbon source (e.g., dextrose or citrate), a nitrogen source such as ammonium ions or urea, and mineral ions and growth factors. The bacteria selected for this process have the ability to excrete glutamic acid they synthesize outside of their cell membrane into the medium and accumulate there. The glutamic acid is separated from the fermentation broth by filtration, concentration, acidification, and crystallization, followed by conversion to its monosodium salt [monosodium glutamate]." (Leung, A. and Foster, S. Encyclopedia of Common Natural Ingredients Used in Food, Drugs , and Cosmetics. New York: Wiley, 1996. pp 373-375.)

So essentially, MSG is genetically-altered bacteria sh_t.

Your American CDC in Atlanta, in their "Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances" state:

"Monosodium glutamate is described as a Mutagen and Reproductive Effector."

In other words, it is bacteria sh_t that can cause cells to mutate and also effects reproduction.

The Food Processing Industry tries to associate MSG - artificial - or "free" glutamic acid - with the naturally occurring form found in nature; and with the help of the FDA has been pretty successful in the con.

Exposure to free glutamic acid found in processed food is linked to adverse reactions including hives, asthma, seizures, and migraine headache; is suspected as a possible cause of brain damage, learning disorders, or endocrine disturbances; and is suspected as being relevant in diverse diseases of the central nervous system such as addiction, stroke, epilepsy, schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, and degenerative disorders such as ALS, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

So, again in other words, it is bacteria sh_t that can cause cells to mutate, it effects reproduction, is either linked to or suspected in enough serious health problems that it should have been banned worldwide many years ago - but hey, the processed food industry and their protectorate - the FDA (and other so-called "health authorities) - make money off of it and use it to get people to eat things that they otherwise couldn't stand the taste of; so its OK!

By the way - the world's largest producer? - Ajinomoto Company Inc. - and it was actually first created artificially by Japanese chemist Ikeda Kikunae in 1908.

Forget smoking - it's no where near as dangerous as msg.

BAN msg TODAY! DON'T BUY ANYTHING WITH msg INCLUDED AS AN INGREDIENT. Very scary stuff!

The danger of msg is just one of the reasons that one of HK's largest artificial food producers just had their wrists slapped by the HK government. They were telling people their products did not have msg and it turned out upon testing by the HK government that the concentrations of msg in their products was higher than average!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-27 16:21:55 |Display all floors

msg...

It should also be mentioned that even nowadays all MSG is synthetic that it's still a substance that does appear in natural products.

Tomatos, Beef and Algea (sea weed) have a high MSG concentration by nature.

But it is only used to cut corners and make food more cheaply nowadays.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-27 17:00:13 |Display all floors

food allergic

Two persons I know are allergic to MSG. It's a big trouble for them to dine out but most of the people and I are OK with it. I just feel thirsty after I ate food with heavy MSG.

Men with no allergy problem should worry about their wedding cakes. They may regret for eating them all their lifes.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.