Author: sinojj

How to say 双重性格? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-12-31 13:23:22 |Display all floors

"Dual personality" is a common expression. "Double personality" is not.

Dual and double have similar meanings but while you might say "he lives a double life" (meaning perhaps he is a staid businessman in the daytime and lead singer for a punk-rock band at night)  you do not say he has a double personality.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-31 14:38:49 |Display all floors

????

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-31 14:50:56 |Display all floors

????

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-31 23:13:23 |Display all floors

I'm only a native speaker so I could be wrong?

Let's ask mr Google

Search for "double personalities"  and you get 262 results.
Search for "dual personality" and you get 14300 results
Search for "dual personalities" and you get 2270 results.

so I will leave it up to you to decide which is more common in the English speaking world -- BUT of course in this particular translation cenilla may be correct because there are obviously a few cases where it is used as shown by the google search.

And in fact "double citizenship" is also Chinglish. Dual citizenship is more usual.

If you want to get technical about it -- double means twice as much of a particular thing whereas dual means two separate things co-existing.

Double trouble is very common. Dual trouble is not.

The trick is knowing which one to use in which situation.
------------------------------------
I see that often the suggested translations are quite understandable but are actually "chinglish". As I have said many times I know pitifully few Chinese characters, so all i can do is suggest that there may be a more idiomatic way of expressing things. Direct translations are rarely idiomatically correct translations.

Being old and reasonably wise, I am usually careful not to be too dogmatic about my suggestions. That sort of confidence i am happy to leave to the young.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-1 04:51:31 |Display all floors

決定了的,

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-1 04:56:47 |Display all floors

dual personality

Dual or double personality, not dual or double personalities, is the correct form of identifying the disease, multiple personality disorder.  The result of multiple personality disorder is to have a few personalities  or dual or  double peronalities.

Usually we use dual personality to describe the disease of a person.  In my country. USA,  many people use the words double personality or double personalities.  That is so commonly used wrongly that it made the words look, sound, and read correct.   Dual personality is the more common form to describe this situation and disease although there are prints and articles using the words "double personality".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-1 05:19:58 |Display all floors

平底船

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.