Author: slimdog

Who despise Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-1 21:47:45 |Display all floors

great!

First of all: I do not agree with places that only let foreigners enter.

But a discountcard only for foreigners? Great! If we had a place like that here, I would go there often. It would be a nice change from always being discriminated against in shops and the market. Because wherever we go, we pay more than the Chinese people, even though we work here. Only because of our skincolor.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-6 18:58:51 |Display all floors

business shrewdness vs. plain discrimination

I think this is more than just business ideas, although the bar-owner may think this will attract more foreigners who usually spend more at bars because that's about the only place they hang out in their leisure if they are not travelling.

Perhaps you should complain to your local authorities, and see what they say.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 18:05:07 |Display all floors

It's Asia

Chinese are always "racist" against themselves.. generally speaking of course.. the women (especially) want foreign guys, this isn't limited to China.. Singapore too. My S'porean pals tell me they don't want Chinese boyfriends/girlfriends..then they give some pathetic excuse as though they're not mentally Chinese.

Anyway..ever heard of San Marco??? I would pass for Chinese and when my pals asked them to give me a membership card (I can barely speak Chinese), they said it's restricted for foreigners. I heard them saying "ta bu shi zhong guo ren" and I was so pissed off. I said (aloud)"Forget it!!" and when they heard me complaining in English, they suddenly treated me like some kind of  VIP... I swallowed my pride and accepted the membership card but that sucks nevertheless!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 18:08:48 |Display all floors

It's Asia

Chinese are always "racist" against themselves.. generally speaking of course.. the women (especially) want foreign guys, this isn't limited to China.. Singapore too. My S'porean pals tell me they don't want Chinese boyfriends/girlfriends..then they give some pathetic excuse as though they're not mentally Chinese.

Anyway..ever heard of San Marco??? I would pass for Chinese and when my pals asked them to give me a membership card (I can barely speak Chinese), they said it's restricted for foreigners. I heard them saying "ta bu shi zhong guo ren" and I was so pissed off. I said (aloud)"Forget it!!" and when they heard me complaining in English, they suddenly treated me like some kind of  VIP... I swallowed my pride and accepted the membership card but that sucks nevertheless!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-31 22:02:10 |Display all floors

It is just a sale strategy

It has nothing to do with the race discrimination. I reckon the bar owner just wants to attract more foreigners to the bar, so the foreigners will drink more beers and spend more moneies there, because they would feel the price "discounted".

Most Chinese are not alcoholic like foreigners, and they don't care that foreigners have a VIP card to drink in the bar.  

As you said in the first post, the Chinese spent more moneies in the bar than the foreigners. The Chinese who went to bars usually are not poor. Some of them even much richer than the foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-3 15:49:53 |Display all floors

It's all in the mind!

It's clear from this discussion that Chinese people in general suffer from a chronic case of low self-esteem.

This shows up in angry questions like "Who despise Chinese?" or in the foolish behaviour of the newly rich who overspend at bars just to prove they aren't poorer than the foreigners.

"Si yao mian zi" is the phrase to describe you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-4 03:39:02 |Display all floors

Greedy

Money is the only thing people care about in chinese big cities.  

I was sickened at the prostitution and the rip offs on 'foreigners'.....It's nice to get a discount for once.

Praise the bartender for his efforts.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.