Author: tsupasat

a xi'an bar posts a sign outside: "JAPANESE FORBID ENTERING" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-1-3 03:19:59 |Display all floors

sylvaindd

No, it's just wrong. Xenophobia is always unacceptable. There was a thread criticising Japan, when someone went to a dodgy area of Tokyo and saw a sign saying "No Chinese". This is no different.

If I was the major of Xi'an I would close the bar, if they refused to remove the sign. It would reflect badly on my city, just like graffiti. Indeed I would pass a resolution prohibiting any establishment barring people, unless they were under age.

I'm glad to say I didn't see any signs like that when I went to Xi'an this summer, so I would guess that this is a relatively isolated incident.

Doesn't make it right, though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-3 19:15:32 |Display all floors

Your halo is postitively blinding.

First off let me say I detest racism. A sign such as this is obviously racist. Before anyone get their knickers in a knot, let us bring in the concept of ' free speech. '
If a sign such as this barring Japanese from a bar is the bar owner's wish, then in a free society, he should be allowed to do it. He stands to lose business from Japanese and all those who are uncomfortable with racist sentiments. If he is happy with this trading arrangement, then there is nothing anyone should or can do about it. It would be different if his sign instigate, encourage or pay folks to harass or bash up Japanese. That would be a criminal offence under the racial hatred acts.

If this same sentiment is a state sponsored and supported event, then it is an entirely different thing. No decent citizen or nation should tolerate that. Example of this state sponsored law would have been the Apatheid Laws of the former South Africa.

So for descendents of recent colonialists to pontificate about racial issues is inappropriate, hollow and downright hypocritical.

Confucius say  " Beware of the newly repentant ; they know not what they say. "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-3 23:07:03 |Display all floors

re: mengzhi

it is the responsibility of the state to outlaw such discrimination.  

if a bar refused to allow women to enter, would you still categorize it as free speech?  what about a company that refused to hire women?

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-4 13:18:01 |Display all floors

State sponsored apartheid.

Another example nearer home for you tsu was the " No niggers will be served " and " Niggers use back entrance" seen in the USA till the 60s. Black American citizens had to sit at the back of the bus and had to stand up when a white alight but cannot find a seat. OK these are abolished now in name, but not in deeds.

Confucius said " I may not agree with what you say but I will die in defence of your right to say it."  That is free speech.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-4 23:50:53 |Display all floors

re: mengzhi

the u.s. has laws and groups such as the aclu to ensure state-sponsored or individual illegal discrimination does not go on.

i am addressing your statement that barring a certain nationality or ethnicity from a public establishment is tolerable.  the shenzhen and xi'an authorities should close down these bars.  discrimination in action is not free speech.

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-5 06:11:41 |Display all floors

tsupasat is right

I feel I have to wade into the discussion again.

mengzhi, this is not a question of "free speech". The owner of the bar is not expressing an opinion. He is discriminating against people of a certain race.

Discrimination, as far as I know, is illegal in China. For example, isn't it illegal for Chinese companies to refuse to hire workers just because they're women? Most nations ban discrimination, especially racial discrimination. It throws down barriers between groups and leads to inter-racial tension.

You said that China is a free country. I agree. Because people have the right to go where they wish (bar restricted military/police areas). If the bar was a house, the owner would not be under any obligation to let people who he/she didn't like inside. But it is a business that encourages the public to come inside. With the ability to let people in from the street and drink inside, the bar has the responsibility to let anyone in, provided they pay and respect other patrons.

I think places like this have the potential to do China great damage. Quite apart from losing international respect, I think they foster a racist, nationalist attitude in China. If honest, respectable people like yourself try to excuse them, I fear that China will go the way of 1930s Japan.

Britain, America and many other countries have barred such displays of racism. Why can't China?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-5 15:48:32 |Display all floors

Mexican standoff.

mencius and tsu are both reasonable anti-racism people I believe. So am I. Where we differ is in the distinction between inidvidual freedom and state sponsored discrimination. There is a world of difference.

If the owner of this bar were NOT to put that sign up outside. Japanese patrons who venture inside are going to be discriminated against inside.They will not be served like any other patron, they will be spoken to curtly or not spoken to at all or they will be charged an unreasonable price for their beverages, etc etc. The aggrieved Japanese tourists will, very rightly, demand a redress or even threaten to report this to the police. Meantime, the anguish and uncertainty in being in a foreign country and amongst foreign people must make it very unpleasant and fearful. Now how the police respond is the measure of the State's attitude to racial discrimination. The trouble and time required to register a complaint and the rigmarole of court hearings etc would put me off pursuing 'justice.',  I don't know about you. In this case I , as a Japanese, I would have preferred to see that sign outside and move on to another watering hole.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.