Views: 7278|Replies: 20

Definition of Foreigner? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-11-1 22:48:05 |Display all floors
Hmm, just curious as to what is the definition of foreigner, would it be anyone from the west?  What about the asians that grew up in canada/us, would they be considered foreigner coming to china or are only caucasians considered foreigners.  Id hate to be called/considered a foreigner, i guess culturally yes.. maybe different.  Those of us that grew up in the west had no choice where we lived and matured.   Please enlighten me, thank you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-2 00:09:51 |Display all floors

mine

I suppose  Chinese often apply the word with two meanings,  one is a stranger in a strange land, someone just passing through; the other is non native- born. I don't think the word foreigner is derogatory .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-2 05:57:52 |Display all floors

The Definintion is...

If you have a non-Chinese passport, then you are a foreigner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-2 06:16:49 |Display all floors

dcandyland, Many Chinese live in Hong Kong, China does not have a Chinese passpo

They have lived there for four generations and Hong Kong is part of CHINA.

So are those Hong Kong Chinese foreigners ??

Hahahahah  !!!!!!!!!!  lol !  Got you  !!!!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-2 08:05:49 |Display all floors

Foreigner is not a derogatory word.

I supposed most of the countries' governments, if not all, would consider a person foreigner if he does not have the citizenship or passport of that country.

Perhaps SOME Chinese call a person who looks different from Chinese/Asian a foreigner, if they don't know you.

As long as there is no discrimination involved, being called foreigner is not a problem with me.  And I think all people are equal, whether foreign or not.  At least, people should be treated equally.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-2 14:11:02 |Display all floors

I was in Vietnam

With a Chinese colleague and he commented that there were lot's of foreigners there.
He was was dumbstruck for a minute when I pointed out that yes there are a lot of foreigners in Vietnam and he was one of them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-2 18:33:39 |Display all floors

dcandyland

Some Chinese living abroad have non-Chinese passports, but they are not regarded as foreigners by most Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.