Views: 19282|Replies: 56

Media's image of Chinese masculinity as a function of implied sexuality [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-22 20:39:02 |Display all floors
I am writing a chapter on Chinese manhood.

First let me start by saying that every man should be proud of his own race, and so should every woman, and this applies to you whether your skin color is pale, dark or in-between.

In my case, I am proud to be a Chinese man -- an 'in-between.'

If you hear an Asian woman say that she prefers a man from another race, it shouldn't have hurt your feelings.

Be confident.

Just look into the personal ads of any major newspaper in any major city, and you'll see that some Asian women do have that kind of preference.

I don't get mad when people tell me that certain Chinese women prefer whites or blacks.

Nowadays women are more pragmatic than men in many ways.

The kind of people they prefer usually are look-alikes of actors in big-budget films and who makes the most films in the world? Hollywood. And who are the stars in those films? Usually a white man, and this is going to change now that Hollywood is trying to enter the Chinese market in the form of  joint ventures, and this will definitely help to promote a better image of Chinese masculinity on big screens around the world.

Not too long ago, if an Asian is the leading male in Western films, his sexuality is usually de-emphasized. He is either a kung-fu artist doing impossible stunts albeit with stereotypically minimal interest in women (like the roles Jackie Chan played) or a real ugly dude like Fu Manchu. You don't see a handsome Chinese like -- who else -- wchao37 on the screen.

The women-folks are a good 'economic weather vane' in any nation. As China becomes stronger and richer, her men will also become the stars of the world. During the Qing Dynasty, Emperor Qing Long once inquired as to why all the European women sent to his court in the envoys were so ugly compared to the Chinese -- to His Highness, they almost always had coarse skin, narrow pointed noses, searching eyes and big feet.

So this shows that the ideal of beauty changes with the vicissitudes of a nation and the advance of science, such as the invention of skin-friendly chemicals and the sewing machine.

When a nation grows richer, her women-folks would gain more ways to enhance their appearance. Remember that the sewing machine is a relatively recent invention and make-ups have a lot to do with the advanced sectors of the chemical industry in a country.

In my personal opinion, even though there are pretty faces in all races, I think the Chinese have a disproportionately higher percentage of beautiful women in their population. Look at any of the so-called pretty women in Hollywood, none of them is really a match to the description of Yang Kuei-fei, Zhao Fei-yan or Diao Zhan.

For one thing obesity after 25 is not as common a problem in China as it is in the U.S. although this might be changing due to the encroachment of McDonalds and other fast food chains into our cuisine culture.

As China becomes more prosperous, I have no doubt that a Chinese woman will become the symbol of beauty in the world, because not only does she have finer features and skin texture on a thinner body, she also has the cultured manners of an ancient civilization behind her.

Sexuality is not just a hasty bang-bang-hit-a-fan rampage you know.

Making love to a woman is a fine art, in which a knowledgeable Chinese man excels. What makes the Chinese Woman beautiful is in fact the cool, caressing hand from a real Chinese Man.

So that's why I have no anxiety about the phenomenon that some Asian ladies are seeking white or black partners. Mostly it is due to economic situations such as getting a green card or something. Some may do so because they like hair, and in those situations they can surely be reminded that gorillas are always viable alternatives.

Yes, it is important that we use the momentum of the Chinese film market to promote our masculine image in the world using our own criteria of what constitutes a desirable male in our species.

In time, in this century, the value of the suave and cultured Chinese man will be recognized. It will eventually become the model of male desirability in the world.

I guarantee it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 20:55:43 |Display all floors

Bravo!!

"During the Qing Dynasty, Emperor Qing Long once inquired as to why all the European women sent to his court in the envoys were so ugly compared to the Chinese -- to His Highness, they almost always had coarse skin, narrow pointed noses, searching eyes and big feet. "

I have to confess that about a quater millennian later white women appear to me just the same way as they did to Emperor Qian Long  :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 21:15:33 |Display all floors

They don't know what they are missing!

A Chinese man with a smooth hand is a much better lover than his Western counterpart because he knows when to be gentle and when to ride roughshod like a cowboy in an in-and-out fast food joint.

It takes a real cook to make a banquet, and a real stud to make it an unforgettable experience.

Like I said, a real stud is not someone who just goes in for a quickie bang-bang-hit-a-fan rampage.  

He should be good at fine-tuning the atmospherics as if he is sipping cognac from the belly button of a super model -- an art which a Western country ruffian would have interpreted as his being too poor to buy a tumbler.

The chest hair always gets in the way, and that's why the Western man can't do it without a Mach III.

Otherwise his woman is going to feel like she is a pin cushion for a porcupine.

But of course you know -- you're thestud, brother.

Who am I to tell you anything?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 21:20:01 |Display all floors

mmm

"In my personal opinion, even though there are pretty faces in all races, I think the Chinese have a disproportionately higher percentage of beautiful women in their population."

I agree.  

But I think your economic route to symbol of masculinity theory doesn't hold true.  The Japanese shoot that one down.  

"The chest hair always gets in the way, and that's why the Western man can't do it."

Chest hair is a symbol of masculinity.  You're jealous.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 21:30:18 |Display all floors

Dear ubersuave, I speak from experience

Talking about the Japanese in a post on sexuality does not fit.

You may as well be talking about skin care products for porcupines.  No matter how you cut it, it's not going to work.

Jealous? not in my dictionary.

That is a common misconception amongst men.

That opinion was formed before the invention of razors.

Why do you think a Western man invented the razor, especailly the Mach III from Gillette?

Isn't that the best proof that they really hate their hair both on their faces and on their chest, so much so that they have to use three razor blades on a single razor head to do the job right?

Note that I am not talking about hair on the legs though.  For that you use a pink-colored razor -- that means it is reserved for women who don't want hair even on their legs.

For more details, ask thestud.

I can show you how to use your hand though.  If you are from India, I suggest you use the right hand.  No offense intended.

The rest of you just follow me and sit around the huge water bed in the rotunda.  

Use your hand like this -- slowly does it ......here you go  -- I'll show you how to use your toe one day after we both reach 100 years old.

What's a toe?  Ubersuave, I thought you were smarter than you look.

A toe is a finger on the foot.

I may just as well hold a class here for all Western men to teach them how to use their hand.  

Which one?  

This one (looking straight down about two and a half feet) with only one finger, you dummy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 21:41:11 |Display all floors

mmm

Jealousy.  It's a terrible thing.  In summer I even wear shirts with the top few buttons undone to show off the chest wig.  When coupled with a gold medallion and funky shirt the chicks love it.  

Which sissy shaves his chest hair?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 21:48:41 |Display all floors

Re: "Which sissy shaves his chest hair?"

Dear constantly constipated,

Do you read man's fitness magzines? (or, equivalently, do you go to gym at all?) Ever seen a cover dude with a "wig" on his chest?

Seems to me that, like the pants-dropping vicious half, you also love to compare and compete with the gorillas in Chinese zoos.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.