Author: wchao37

Japan's Shrine visits in the context of U.S. arms sales & Taidu intransigence [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-22 19:34:10 |Display all floors

To thestud

What can I say.  You know more about my name than I do.

You are more than a genius.  You're thestud.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 19:36:50 |Display all floors

Wchao37, guess what, you are my Ben Jia !

<<You're right "Chao" can be spelt many ways depending on where you were born. Mainland was my birth place. If I were born in Hongkong, it would have been spelt as "Chiu.">>

In that case, we have the same last name, the first in Bai Jia Xing (百家姓).

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 19:43:12 |Display all floors

To Seneca

I really dig your persistence in stalking me in these forums.

Very entertaining to be stalked by a laowai who's so prejudiced about China that less than a year after you have been in the country, you are already thinking of yourself as an expert on her history, her social customs, her political institutions, and the 10 concubines each man reputedly had in the old society.

No wonder your comment on that slender young lady was "Chinese men, you don't know how lucky you guys are."

I am going to upload a post  I wrote several years back on this light topic in "Free talk" to reward you for being such a faithful ghost.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 19:46:03 |Display all floors

To thestud

Good for you, brother.

As the Chinese say, five hundred years ago we were probably in the same family.

According to my family pedigree which were available in Nanjing up to the time the Japs came in 1937, I was descended from the second emperor of the Sung Dynasty, the brother of Zhao Guanyin.  So five hundred years ago (1504) was roughly 500 years after that since the Northern Sung Dynasty started in the year 960 A.D.

I have seen your posts and they are good.

Now I know why.

I was better known as a writer in Chinese than I was in English.  I didn't start writing in English forums until six years ago.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 19:55:26 |Display all floors

Wchao37, for sure you are the pride of Zhao Jia !!!

You are too generous on my humble posts, brother.

"I was better known as a writer in Chinese than I was in English. I didn't start writing in English forums until six years ago."

I think China Daily should allow more Chinese posts on discussion boards so that many of us here can read your incredibly beautiful writings in Chinese as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 20:07:59 |Display all floors

The genius of the Chinese language

I think the Chinese language itself is incredibly beautiful.  My writing in Chinese was just one leaf on a tree -- actually less than that if you consider the longevity of our literary tradition, really.

Chinese writing is like a painting or a stanza of music.  The characters can convey emotions through different calligraphic styles.  This is something lacking in Western languages.

Whether it was Greek or Egyptian Hieroglyphics, Latin or Russian, no other languages can convey visual depictions of the writer's emotions in the way that Chinese does.

That, in my opinion, is the genius of the Chinese language.

The mechanics of the language is very scientific, and its simplicity is mind-boggling.

By the fifth or sixth grade, any Chinese youngster can read a newspaper without looking into a dictionary every five seconds -- something hard to achieve in the case of a Western language

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 21:01:02 |Display all floors

To everyone: I have now uploaded a post in Free Talk

...on Chinese masculinity as a function of implied sexuality in the media......go to read it for a lighter moment away from talking about the unabashedly short and ugly buck-toothed Japanese men in Tokyo.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.