Author: ceciliazhang

Will Costco succeed in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-9-3 11:43:25 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-9-2 22:36
You mean the IEEPA of 1977, not 1997.

The Economic Powers Act allows the president of the United  ...

"And as there has not yet been a national emergency declared with respect to Chinese trade,"

What is there to stop the erratic, temperamental President Trump from spinning a story as an excuse to declare a national emergency?  He has shown himself to be capable of telling lies to get whatever he wants.  Didn't he declare national emergency to try to get funds to build his wall along the Mexican border?  I don't have confidence in Trump behaving in rational manner!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-3 11:45:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2019-9-3 12:33
Ted180 Post time: 2019-9-3 07:35
Costco is a big favourite here in Canada. Probably will be popular in China for a long time.

China is NOT Canada;  Costco's success in Canada may not be replicated in China!  There were foreign stores that have failed in China, notably Tesco of UK;  and French Carrefour sold out to Chinese interests.  What is so special about Costco to ensure its success?  Bricks n mortar stores generally can't compete with China's internet giants like Alibaba, Jindong, etc. Chinese consumers have taken to internet shopping in a big way, something the West incluidng Canada, has yet to catch up with!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-3 15:18:35 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2019-9-3 07:35
Costco is a big favourite here in Canada. Probably will be popular in China for a long time.

Canadians are still shopping the old fashion way, drive miles to the store to shop n pick up their own goods.  Chinese consumers are way ahead, they just use the cellphone to order online and have their goods delivered to their doorstep, in real short time!  That explains why Costco is a big favorite in Canada, but may not be so in China!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-3 15:23:14 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-9-2 22:36
You mean the IEEPA of 1977, not 1997.

The Economic Powers Act allows the president of the United  ...

"Trump’s present abilities to govern economic interactions with China are limited to measures like tariffs."

Trump knows nothing else, he is a tariff man!  He uses tariffs to bully many countries into submitting to his demands, but that tactic has failed to work with China!  So, now he is desperate for a deal with China, even lying that he got two phone calls from China to restart tarde talks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-4 22:26:21 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-9-3 15:18
Canadians are still shopping the old fashion way, drive miles to the store to shop n pick up their ...

Obviously, you have never shopped at Costco, nor have you ever been to Canada. You make us all sound like we live out in the country when you say we drive miles to the store to shop. I, for example, have both a Walmart and a Costco within 600 m of my home, as well as numerous banks, restaurants, and other retail shops and services.

The advantage of Costco is that it offers bulk shopping at discounted prices ... or so the advertisements say. It is advantageous for restaurant owners, for example, who like to purchase case lots of items. For the average consumer, a lot of electronic devices can be purchased cheaper than at specialty electronics stores, like Best Buy. Costco offers discounted clothing, as well as medical prescriptions, eyeglasses, tires, etc. Just don't buy jewellery there! Way too overpriced for the average consumer. Meat is also more expensive, but well worth it if you are buying for a large family or for, say, a picnic or bbq.

As for online shopping, that in itself is a huge market here. However, comparing the online shopping habits of a country with 1.4 billion people ... where nearly everything under the sun, including prescription drugs, is available, to a country with only 37 million, and much stricter consumer laws ... really is a moot point. There is no comparison between the two.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-5 10:42:31 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-9-4 22:26
Obviously, you have never shopped at Costco, nor have you ever been to Canada. You make us all sou ...

I shouldn't have said drive miles, giving you the impression I am referring to Costco out in the woods! Granted you have stores nearby, you still have to drive there; Chinese consumers just sit at home and let their finges do the walkimng, n just wait for their goods to be delivered to their doorsteps.  Even discounted prices for bulk purchases can't beat that convenience.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-5 15:53:50 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-9-5 10:42
I shouldn't have said drive miles, giving you the impression I am referring to Costco out in the w ...

Majority of folks getting their 299 Y back after they discovered that the set up was a cheat and they can order elsewhere cheaper...

Take Carrefour as an example...
     After Struggling to Deliver in China, Carrefour is packing its Bags...
      French company is pulling back as local upstarts seize on the trend toward delivering items directly to customers homes...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.