Author: serenades

An open letter from Hong Kong girl [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-8-29 09:21:12 |Display all floors
Many young people of HK could not use fluent Chinese language as she did. HK has its own grammar for Cantonese, which also influences the life of Guangzhou, Shenzhen and other regions near it.

By the way, as far as literary feats concerned, her writing done by
an 18-y-o student of  of HK, an internationalized megacity good for education, is far below that of mainlanders of any average high schools. In mainland, such a lousy essay could not get more than 65 out of 120 scale in a serious test.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-8-30 07:26:49 |Display all floors
GVTCC Post time: 2019-8-29 09:21
Many young people of HK could not use fluent Chinese language as she did. HK has its own grammar for ...

Many young people on the mainland undoubtedly could not use English as well as their Hong Kong counterparts. They could also not speak Cantonese as fluently as Hong Kong and Guangdong people.

BTW "as far as literary feats {are} concerned" aren't most serious tests marked out of 100% rather than 120 ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-1 10:46:42 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2019-8-28 14:06
Haven't you visited any of the glitzy shopping districts in major Chinese cities ? For example, ta ...

"I haven't seen any of the shops selling items made of gold making any efforts to "spread the wealth around".

You've completely missed my point!  Goodness,  do you honestly expect shops to spread their wealth around? That is the task of the Govt, and just in case you don't know, China has lifted millions out of poverty!
And yes, I've been to Nanjing Lu, where capitalism is on full display, but that's never a problem, it creates wealth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-2 11:04:57 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2019-8-30 07:26
Many young people on the mainland undoubtedly could not use English as well as their Hong Kong cou ...

But here this gal is using Chinese characters that she was not good at rather than the western letters she was often exposed to.

The reason for Chinese students' low proficiency of English language is that they spend too much time on rote learning, and they do not have the much exposure to the authentic English that their peers in HK have and they do not have the opportunities to communicate with native speakers of English as often as them too.

Regarding the total marks of a test, 100, 120 and 150 are three options available in the system, as I have told you the writing is worth 65 out of 120, but not out of 150, accept it without further complaints because this is the fact, or you will be more embarrassed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-2 12:23:07 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2019-8-30 07:26
Many young people on the mainland undoubtedly could not use English as well as their Hong Kong cou ...

Oddly enough, though HK puts a premium on English education, many Hong Kongners' English could only be branded as pidgin at best.  From the doodles and placards they presented during the riots, obviously, they could neither speak nor write English grammatically. Moreover, a lot of errors could also be spotted in their Chinese writing, so it's safe to say those gangsters are largely a poorly-educated lot.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-2 12:34:32 |Display all floors
GVTCC Post time: 2019-9-2 11:04
But here this gal is using Chinese characters that she was not good at rather than the western let ...

You wrote before "in a serious test", you didn't say whether or not this was a writing test. Writing about "this gal" is an example of very colloquial American English that would not be used in a formal writing context. "Girl" would be correct usage in this sentence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-9-3 07:31:42 |Display all floors
As a "westerner" (an English Canadian), all I can hope is that China will emerge from 200 years of hardship, regain its proper territory (Taiwan and Hong Kong) in a non-violent manner. Develop its democracy peacefully and with dignity. Continue its wonderful economic growth of the past 30 years. Be welcomed into the family of comfortable and civilized nations. Take a leading role in creating a prosperous and peaceful world. Low-class violence is not the way to build true freedom.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.