Views: 2126|Replies: 2

Words And Their Meanings [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2019-8-22 10:51:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2019-8-22 12:54

Long ago when I lived in the USA, I noticed that most words used there politically and in media were just labels. These labels often meant nothing close to the original meaning of the words they were derived from, sometimes they really meant the opposite - they were just meant to artificially create a feeling of being goodness/political correctness through association..

A 'liberal' does not necessarily have a mostly liberal outlook towards others, a 'democrat' does not follow democratic norms, 'freedom of expression' was a highly restricted right for most in most places, whether it is 'human rights', 'progressive', 'regime', 'authorities', 'national interests'.. whatever - every word had been highly distorted and twisted and used with a devious purpose in mind to serve a political or commercial interest. This itself signaled trouble in society to me.

I am seeing it now - unravelling - even civil discourse, debates and communication between fellow citizens have become dysfunctional, often pointless and just a substitute for violence that is legally prohibited. It is difficult to unite a people without using language and the words are all like loaded, booby-trapped missiles... Coming from a different country with a different English language I could see it differently than my friends in the USA. I see the difficulty the USA is undergoing - such is spreading to other countries too that I have observed. We can no longer communicate clearly through words in English (or some dominant local language in a 'democracy'). We need ways to communicate from our spirit and values at a more basic level. I have stopped reacting quickly and reflexively to words and labels such as 'racism', 'right-wing', 'left-wing', 'conservative', 'progressive' as a general label. I try to figure out exactly what someone means in the context of a specific issue and then respond with my own thoughts. I wish the USA and the world a better future with hope that most people who disagree really see the other point of view first without reacting and then decide to agree or disagree. It is election mode in the USA, for 2020, a season when words are particularly even more illusory in their meanings..

Copyright (c) KIyer 2019
All rights reserved

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-8-24 10:37:48 |Display all floors
I once came across a book titled The Power of Labeling-How people Are Categorized and Why it Matters that was written by Joy Moncrieffe and Rosalind Eyben.

Boffins have been onto this subject for some time,  which is of significance to the study of politics, and all the more relevant in today's turbulent social environment of the US today.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2019-8-30 11:25:35 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-8-24 12:37
I once came across a book titled The Power of Labeling-How people Are Categorized and Why it Matters ...

thanks for your note! much appreciated
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.