Author: ceciliazhang

Chengdu police detain foreign man who beat taxi driver badly [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-7-19 07:32:19 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-7-18 18:07
To my knowledge, a Nordic company's headquarters in Shanghai once had a large legion of Europeans  ...

You are comparing a multinational city with a small city in a totally different province. Comparing apples and oranges. The only thing in common is that they are both fruits. Also, that Nordic company's headquarters in China pays a lot more than the standard wage in Sweden. It is no wonder that employees would try to extend their contracts for another 2 years. I've seen the same thing at Volkswagon, in Changchun. It's actually quite common with foreign-based companies.

I have also seen foreigners who were beat up by taxi drivers. One was a good friend of mine. He did not get charged with anything, of course, but he did end up with a broken nose, smashed cheekbones, and a mild concussion from getting kicked in the head while he was on the ground. Oh, he was also stone-cold sober when this happened. The taxi drivers called some buddies of his while en-route, and they were waiting at the passenger's destination.

As MichealM stated ... quite factually ... foreigners are targets, mostly because they are falsely perceived to be rich. Sad, but unfortunately true.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-19 08:01:32 |Display all floors
Badly misbehaving and violent foreigners should be sent to the western camps to break quarry, then deported after serving their sentence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-19 13:33:20 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-7-19 07:32
You are comparing a multinational city with a small city in a totally different province. Comparin ...

You are clearly trying to project yourself as a raconteur, old man. But stories are stories ...

Most of the foreign employees based in Shanghai or elsewhere in China hail from hick towns in their home countries, a prolonged stint in China afford them a life they would never be able to live back home. Admittedly, there are allowances associated with them upping sticks, but it's usually somewhere around 20%, not a significant raise as a matter of fact. (It appears you hint that your folks would risk being beaten, cheated, and all the ill treatments on a daily basis for merely a paltry increase to their salaries, come on, old bean, don't be so harsh on your cohorts. )

Funny you claim you and your folks are rich, you guys won't hesitate to buy any cheesy, cheap stuff if you could find it. If you have ever been to the old Xiushui Street Market at Beijing, you would find the punters there are mostly people like you. .

I personally know a guy who moved to China on an international assignment contract after a humiliating loss in a nasty power struggle in his company, he brought his family along, including his wife and two sons. As a heavy drinker, he routinely got himself half-drunk with his friends before heading out to a pub on Hengshan Road, Shanghai (it's probably called Sabadaon) on Tuesday or Thursday with his wife tagging along when the pub would offer ladies drinks gratis, then he could get himself full to the gills with his wife's drinks. He once raised hell at Hongqiao Airport cursing the clerk when checking in, two-timed his wife with a lady he accidentally run into in a metro car. He actually is not the worst foreigners staying in China I am acquainted with ...

Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-19 14:17:02 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2019-7-18 13:06
lets not forget many local people especially woman have assaulted traffic police and bus drivers, an ...

Yes, I kept updating it with new cases involving violent women, but there are so many that I gave up!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-19 14:19:54 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2019-7-18 14:39
i am often told cabbies carry knives for protection.....
its lucky the serb didnt come up against  ...

Not very smart to carry knives!  They would end up with more serious injuries and even deaths.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-19 14:28:01 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2019-7-18 15:44
Everyone knows that you have about a 50-60% chance of getting cheated in China no matter if you're a ...

"It is a kind of 'expected duty' you're going to pay for having a white face."

You can't have it both ways!  White faces in China carry many privileges, including special preference as English teachers, even if they are not qualified, or being paid handsomely as models at exhibition stalls, or parading down the streets half naked promoting some Chinese products!  If indeed they were ripped off by taxi drivers, that's a small price to pay compared to the huge privileges they enjoy in China!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-19 14:39:12 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2019-7-18 15:44
Everyone knows that you have about a 50-60% chance of getting cheated in China no matter if you're a ...

"If it is a restaurant or vendor in the market, I just don't ever go back to them again. "

Eventually you will have  nowhere to go to because they all practice the same trick!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.