Author: ceciliazhang

Chengdu police detain foreign man who beat taxi driver badly [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2019-7-18 13:06:52 |Display all floors
lets not forget many local people especially woman have assaulted traffic police and bus drivers, and staff at subway. PNP has a thread about violent woman....
The penalties are lenient for both locals and foreigners
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2019-7-18 14:39:22 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-7-18 11:47
It's never wise to resort to violence to settle disputes, but the cabbie is also to be blamed for th ...

i am often told cabbies carry knives for protection.....
its lucky the serb didnt come up against another driver that night
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2019-7-18 15:44:00 |Display all floors
Everyone knows that you have about a 50-60% chance of getting cheated in China no matter if you're at the local market or in a taxi. It is a kind of 'expected duty' you're going to pay for having a white face.

I get ripped off all of the time. It's actually against the law to require someone to pay the 'return fee' here in Henan. The taxi driver here will charge it to you and tell you not to tell the airport police that they did it. So, they rip you and then ask you (and expect you) to lie for them.

Most people (other than taxi drivers) only rip me off for a few yuan most of the time. I know that they're doing it. It's China. I just pay it and remind myself that I'm not living in my country. If it is a restaurant or vendor in the market, I just don't ever go back to them again. They could make several hundred yuan from me in the future because I love being a loyal customer, but, not if you rip me off for 3-4 yuan. They think that they're clever. They cheat themselves out of several hundred yuan from any future business you'd give them. So, it's a very stupid thing to do, but, so many do it and feel good about it.

It could happen in my country and rarely does happen. However, we all know that it is far more likely to happen in China. Not a surprise. Pay it and make him feel good that he beat you out of a few yuan. His integrity is cheap (or non-existent). It doesn't matter. Pay him. Don't dare cause any trouble in China as a foreigner. They love to do this to foreigners especially.

These days, I just stay at my apartment most of the time. If I go out, I'll surely get stopped by the police who'll want to check my passport. They have always been nice about it, but, I'm also aware that they can lock you up and charge you with anything whether you did it or not. And there is no proving that you didn't. There's a 99.9% conviction rate in Chinese courts. And, again remember, it doesn't matter if you did it or not.

If you're going to live in China, you must be aware of these things. YOU are a foreigner. YOU are a target for anybody and everybody. Do your job, mind your own business and avoid going out as much as possible. Stay out of bars and avoid a nightlife if you're going to live in China as a foreigner. It might be too hard for some to follow this advice. Those who don't want to follow it need to get out of China and go back home. This is China. You're not going to change it. Accept it and make wiser choices.

Best advice I can give.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2019-7-18 15:57:16 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-7-18 11:47
It's never wise to resort to violence to settle disputes, but the cabbie is also to be blamed for th ...

It happened in Henan more than a year ago. A cabbie started beating up a foreign woman who is deaf. They were near her home. Her son saw his mom getting beat up and went to her defense. He beat the cabbie pretty bad. The foreigner got locked up for several weeks. He was finally required to pay about 50,000 rmb to the cabbie, released and deported. Of course, nothing happened to the cabbie.

Another foreigner here got drunk and his cabbie took him to the countryside (after he'd passed out in the cab), stripped his clothes off, took all of his possessions (clothes, money, cellphone, jewelry, etc.) and left him in the dead of winter. Nothing on except his underwear.

When he woke up, he ran to a nearby road and flagged down a guy on an e-bike. The guy was scared and wouldn't cooperate with him. He knocked the guy off of his e-bike, stole the e-bike to get back to his apartment before he froze to death.

The final outcome was, he spent two weeks in a Chinese jail and had to pay 25,000 RMB to the cab driver. Then, they deported him. Again, nothing happened to the cabbie even though they clearly idenitified him.

Things never go well for foreigners in China even when they are victimized. You will be held accountable for your actions (not the Chinese person). You will be punished. It's just a fact of living in China. You need to avoid anything you possibly can in China. It won't go well for you if you're white or black. (This guy was white).

If you work here, do your job, go home and avoid any kind of nightlife aside from eating in a restaurant.

Best advice I can give.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2019-7-18 16:07:05 |Display all floors
"The case in Chengdu came amid discussions about whether foreigners get too many privileges in China."

This is a joke where I live in China. The foreigner is ALWAYS at fault here even if he/she is the victim and did nothing to defend themselves or retaliate. As a foreigner, understand that YOU are the culprit because you are white (or black or brown as the case may be).

If you ride an e-bike and the police stop you for doing what everyone else is doing, and, they charge you 30-50 yuan as a fine, pay them 100 RMB. They'll take it and things will go much better for you. It's the unspoken 'foreigner tax' (because 'you're so rich'). If someone cheats you in the market place, pay it and just don't go back there ever again. You'll be better off than thinking that you'll be treated fairly and justly. You won't. Don't be naive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-18 17:55:14 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2019-7-18 15:44
Everyone knows that you have about a 50-60% chance of getting cheated in China no matter if you're a ...

A very interesting narrative, but I think the bunker mentality plays a role in your perception of any treatment you received in China.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-7-18 18:07:24 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2019-7-18 15:57
It happened in Henan more than a year ago. A cabbie started beating up a foreign woman who is deaf ...

To my knowledge, a Nordic company's headquarters in Shanghai once had a large legion of Europeans sitting in it, usually they would stay 3 years in China before going back. And every single one of them would scramble to get their contracts renewed towards the end of their stint in China, and try to remain in China for at least 2 more years.

What's your take on that? If China was as bad as you described, they would have fled right after their contracts expired.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.