Author: ceciliazhang

US should self-reflect before questioning China's religious freedom [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-4-16 06:56:03 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-4-14 14:30
"And many people do indeed flock to pay these same monks."

That's another indication that they are ...

So you are saying that Chinese people are to attend these places of worship but the monks there are not lawfully entitled to spread their religious views to them ? What do the monks do in that case, simply take around the hat for worshippers to put money into ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-16 06:57:30 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-4-14 14:33
"Since China doesn't have religious freedom so it can't use this pretext to begin with.

There are  ...

I have visited China many times over the past 15 years, and lived there continuously for much of that time. Thus, I believe that I have some first hand knowledge and experience of what I am commenting upon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-16 07:27:44 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-4-15 12:22
Considering the fact that China is a secular society, and the Communist Party of China is a non-re ...

Communism is atheist by nature. Marx once stated that "Religion is the opium of the people". He despised religion and banned it. While Marx rejected religion, Lenin saw religion as being negative to human and social development. Therefore, any country which followed Marxist-Leninist dogma were atheistic and anti-religion. During the Cultural Revolution, Communists in China tried to wipe out everything that had anything to do with religion, including traditional Chinese religions.

Freedom of Religion in China really did not come into play until the new Constitution of 1982. Article 36 of the Chinese constitution says that citizens “enjoy freedom of religious belief.” It bans discrimination based on religion and forbids state organs, public organizations, or individuals from compelling citizens to believe in—or not believe in—any particular faith. The State Council, the government’s administrative authority, passed new regulations on religious affairs, which took effect in February 2018, to allow state-registered religious organizations to possess property, publish literature, train and approve clergy, and collect donations. Yet alongside these rights come heightened government controls. The revised rules include restrictions on religious schooling and the times and locations of religious celebrations, as well as monitoring of online religious activity and reporting donations that exceed 100,000 yuan (around $15,900).

While religious belief is protected under the constitution, the constitution does not guarantee the right to practice or worship. Religious practices are limited to "normal religious activities", however "normal" is not defined and can be broadly interpreted. The State recognizes five "Religions": Buddhism, Catholicism, Daoism, Islam, and Protestantism. The practice of any other faith is formally prohibited. Judaism, which has approximately 15 million followers, is banned in China, along with Hinduism, which has 900 million followers.

Personally, I am an agnostic. However, I recognize people's right to worship and/or follow any religion they wish. You can practice the Jedi faith if you want to, or even be a Pastafarian, I don't care. The important fact is that I recognize your RIGHT to follow whichever religion you desire. THAT is freedom of religion. Allowing the recognition of only five religions is not Freedom of Religion.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-16 11:01:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2019-4-16 11:05
cmknight Post time: 2019-4-16 07:27
Communism is atheist by nature. Marx once stated that "Religion is the opium of the people". He de ...

"The important fact is that I recognize your RIGHT to follow whichever religion you desire. THAT is freedom of religion. Allowing the recognition of only five religions is not Freedom of Religion."

I am sure you are aware of the existence of fake religions?  China is probably trying to protect its people from fake religions and preachers with weird beliefs like Falunggong and others!  Yes, anyone can start something and call it a religion and demand State recognition; that is a NO NO!!  People have been misled by fake preachers before, so I can understand why only the major religions are recognised here!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-17 08:04:05 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-4-16 11:01
"The important fact is that I recognize your RIGHT to follow whichever religion you desire. THAT is ...

Judaism and Hinduism are REAL religions. Your excuse is a moot point. The only reason FG is banned, is because it represents a power higher than the CP (or so it claims ... that is debatable by some people). The CP sees that as a threat. There is no proof that FG is a cult. The only claim, complete with questionable evidence, is that from the CP. However, that is an argument for another day, on a site that offers better FoS than this site does.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-17 10:58:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2019-4-17 11:04

redundant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-17 11:03:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2019-4-17 11:10
cmknight Post time: 2019-4-17 08:04
Judaism and Hinduism are REAL religions. Your excuse is a moot point. The only reason FG is banned ...

Every country has the duty to protect its citizens from radicalisation or  be misled by clerics/evangelists of whatever faith, and the CP is no exception, it is doing the right thing by its people!  The risk to society of allowing unlimited religious evengelism is too real to ignore in the name of religious freedom!  Religious freedom with Chinese characteristics is most suitable for China, for the sake of social stability!  It has my support!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.