Views: 2568|Replies: 2

Mirny, The Town On The Edge Of The Abyss [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2019-3-12 16:04:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Perfumecity at 2019-3-16 11:22

1.jpg

Mirny is a perfect example of human greed. People once decided that diamonds were beautiful, more beautiful than other stones. And they destroyed earth and polluted rivers and nature for the sake of diamonds.

Mirny town in Yakutia is considered a diamond capital of Russia. It stands on the very edge of a giant hole in the ground. When you get close, it takes your breath away – it is amazing what people are capable of!

2.jpg

The “Alrosa” company holds the lead here, half of all the population of Mirny, one way or another, works for “Alrosa”.

“Alrosa” is not only a mining company but is also an airline company that brings people from Moscow to Mirny.

3.jpg

Passengers of “Alrosa”.

4.jpg

6-pane windows are advertised in the airport – yes, it’s cold in the north of Russia.

5.jpg

“Stop! No entry!”

The kimberlite pipe “Mir” (“Peace”) was found in 1955. Until 2001 it had been an open pit mine, later they tunnelled under the ground, and in 2009 an underground mine “Mir” was opened.

6.jpg

7.jpg

On August 4th, 2017 an accident happened in the mine: it was flooded by the water from the bowl of a depleted pit. 151 people were in the mine at that moment, 142 were immediately evacuated, one saved the following day, 8 never found, they are presumed dead.

8.jpg

From that day the mine has not been used, and it won’t be until 2022 or later.

9.jpg

The further destiny of the pipe is unknown, but still it is one of the most incredible holes on the planet – 535 meters deep, 1,2 kilometer in diameter – it is visible from the space… but how could it be used? Any ideas?Amusement park? Giant bungee? Ski resort?

10.jpg

Mirny could be a cool tourist spot like Grand Canyon, why not?

11.jpg

Here is a concept of an eco-city under the dome in Mirny from one Moscow architect.

12.jpg

Mine turned into the closed system. But it’s hard to believe it can be more than a fantasy.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Besides, “Alrosa” still plans to resume mining here one day.

15.jpg

An excavator base used to serve as an observation deck but now it is not safe.

16.jpg

Dump trucks are probably coming from a neighboring mine.

17.jpg

Diamonds!

18.jpg

21000 carats, 14 million dollars on the table !

19.jpg

Men are not the best workers…

Contd.......

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member

Post time 2019-3-16 11:25:54 |Display all floors
The Moscow architect's concept sounds gud.      

2 b a Giant bungee is not bad, either.      

Resume?      
Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-18 22:02:39 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2019-3-15 23:37
de Beers

A terrible scar on the surface of the Earth. Do the Chewish de Beers have anything to do w ...

REPORTED FOR anti semitism
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.