Views: 3120|Replies: 2

溪 is more interesting than you thought [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-3-12 10:38:58 |Display all floors
Last night I noticed that the Chinese character(xi)is (was)funny!  Now let’s have a close look:The left part of the word is called ‘three-drop-water' that symbols three streams running to the river(江).  And the main part of 江 is 工 which looks the two banks with one bridge across!

The top of the right part of 溪 contains four strokes: The first one represents the sky and the remaining three ones seem like rain drops which are falling down and getting together somewhere!??
幺 is the smallest number ‘1' in Chinese which should represent ‘tiny' here;  The component  大  means ‘big‘: That physical-education teacher told me: 大 shapes like a man stretching legs and arms out!
So how the stream is formed in nature? Countless rain drops are collected together forming a small ‘river' which will certainly grow from tiny to bigger! That is the lovely green blood of the hill through which we can see the spirit of the mountain!
The character 乡 means ‘countryside” which shape always reminds me the curved earth paths in the rural area!  Now the 幺 in 溪 can show the stream is running through a long curved way till it becomes stronger and stronger!

(To reader friends:I am afraid it will take you a long time for your digestion to my this post. Sorry for the trouble! ) Kidding!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-12 14:44:53 |Display all floors
For more about "The top of the right part of 溪 contains four strokes:", please have a check on my another thread:
From 臼 to 稻 and 蹈?
https://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/fo ... amp;fromuid=1341001
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-12 15:00:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2019-3-12 15:07

The special shape of ‘幺 plus 大 ’ reminds me the word which top part is 小(small)with a “big(大)” bottom!  So the appearance of 尖 can represent one needle with sharp end or a tower!  Yes,尖 mean ‘sharp’. The edge of your knife is always ‘thin’ with ‘thick’ main body!  As you see, Chinese ancestors were quite wise to describe the physical world with vivid pictures in an abstract way!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.