Author: ceciliazhang

Here's why the trade war is coming to an end   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-2-25 12:45:44 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-2-25 12:24
Yes, the reality showman needs to show his base he has done something about his campaign promises  ...

Despite his obvious shortcomings, Trump is very eager to leave his mark in U.S. history by winning a second term of his presidency, and this anxiety of his can be leveraged to the tilt by China to strike at least a temporary deal during the coming lull in the Trade War.

If he does win the second term, and if the U.S. economic engine still sputters in a slouch, then for sure the Trade War will be resumed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-25 13:47:23 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-2-25 12:45
Despite his obvious shortcomings, Trump is very eager to leave his mark in U.S. history by winning ...

re:   If he does win the second term, and if the U.S. economic engine still sputters in a slouch, then for sure the Trade War will be resumed.

You're dead on 37,...

By that time I'll have recovered from the swine flu...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-25 15:42:19 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2019-2-25 13:47
re:   If he does win the second term, and if the U.S. economic engine still sputters in a slouch,  ...

The last time I had the cold last year they thought it was the avian flu.

The swine feared me and never could come near me, let alone the flu it carries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-25 22:17:54 |Display all floors
Talk about sputtering, how's China's economy?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-25 23:08:15 |Display all floors
Naturally both China and the US would suffer needlessly from reduced trade. The problem is that Trump is unstable and incompetent. It would be best to simply preserve the status-quo until Trump is gone at the end of 2020.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-26 00:55:02 |Display all floors
Boston101 Post time: 2019-2-25 22:17
Talk about sputtering, how's China's economy?

From the outset we knew that nobody is going to benefit from a trade war.

Resiliency now kicks in as the most important factor in the character of a nation to weather the storm.

Do you have that character?

Can you afford to buy your basic necessities at greatly inflated prices and at poorer qualities than what the Chinese workforce can produce?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-26 01:07:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-2-26 01:18
Ted180 Post time: 2019-2-25 23:08
Naturally both China and the US would suffer needlessly from reduced trade. The problem is that Trum ...

China is helping him to win by buying soybeans in quantities beyond his fondest dream of avarice.

The red states are his political base and he cannot afford to lose them by continuing to anger or frustrate the farmers.

So there will be a lull -- again assuming he will not be whimsically reversing his stand at the last minute.

This will be fashioned into a political win by Trump's team when the photo-op presents itself in the upcoming summit -- if there indeed is one sometime in the coming months.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.