Author: voice_cd

What topics on China interest you most?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-2-11 13:57:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-2-11 14:00
Current penalties are a joke!
Like you, I had the same feeling that penalties might have been too insignificantl to act as deterents.

However, on second thought I now realize that China is a not a city-state like Singapore, where spitting in public can elicit a fine of 5000 Singapore dollars.

There are many rural workers in China taking those subway trains in the city. Their personal hygiene habits obviously cannot be compared to those of the relatively affluent city dwellers and they just might not be able to afford hefty fines.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-12 13:05:50 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-2-11 13:57
Like you, I had the same feeling that penalties might have been too insignificantl to act as deteren ...

No excuse for those countryfolks migrating to the cities, they must behave or be hit with punishing fines, they need deducation badly which two sessions shd address.  My point stands, harsh penalties are required!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-13 13:00:48 |Display all floors
they just might not be able to afford hefty fines.

At this stage of the game, it would be hard to enforce the law on someone who cannot pay the imposed fines  -- many of the rural workers, for instance.  If such laws cannot be enforced, then it affects the credibility of their effectiveness.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-15 11:49:57 |Display all floors
Drink driving is one area that Two Sessions must urgently address; the sight on CCTV News, of inncent pedestrians mowed down so often by drink drivers sickens many viewers!  Every road user, from pedestrians to cyclists, to other drivers, are all at risk from these irresponible drink drivers.  Current penalities are grossly inqdequate to deter drink driving; harsher penalties, including a long jail term should be imposed, and enforcement must be stepped up!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-15 14:17:13 |Display all floors
You mean drunk driving, right?

First time I hear the use of the term "drink driving" repeated four times.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-17 13:06:50 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-2-15 14:17
You mean drunk driving, right?

First time I hear the use of the term "drink driving" repeated four  ...

The two expressions are often used interchangeably; the fact you understood me means that there is no ambiguity!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-17 18:41:26 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-2-17 13:06
The two expressions are often used interchangeably; the fact you understood me means that there is ...

No ambiguity is implied, pnp.

I mentioned it because I thought you were a native English speaker, and "drink driving" is the first time I have ever heard it described that way.  That's all.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.