Views: 4808|Replies: 3

Congratulations, China successfully landed Chang'e 4 on far side of moon! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-1-6 14:55:55 |Display all floors
This is a first.

Meanwhile, the rover Yutu-2 is is doing what it is designed to do, rove and poke around.

China positioned a satellite in such a way that Chang'e 4 can bounce signals off it back to earth and vice versa.

This is a technology demonstor.

I hope China will drill into the regolith to a depth of 2 meters and return to earth a core sample. Or China can test the regolith in situ, just heat it to a few hundred degree Celsius and cool it suddenly close to 0 Kelvin. That should precipitate any gas and water vapor. Be sure to look for isotopes of Helium

Next project, send an automated 3D printing factory up there and print a lego factory blocks, using the same regolith...

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-7 15:06:42 |Display all floors
You of course know that He-3 is a strategic energy resource that could incite a war if its exact location is not kept a secret by its discoverer.

Our Earth is protected by its own powerful magnetic field, while the Moon has been bombarded with huge amounts of Helium-3 by the solar wind. It is believed that this isotope could provide a safer form of nuclear energy in a fusion reactor because it is not radioactive and would not produce unsafe end products.

Therefore the Chang'e 4 landing has exacerbated the competition between the first two economies because the dark side is believed to have much more Helium-3 deposit than the front 'lighted' side.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-17 18:04:18 |Display all floors
Let the dice fly high.  Yes!

What's happening to your regolith proposal?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-19 13:59:30 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-7 15:06
You of course know that He-3 is a strategic energy resource that could incite a war if its exact loc ...

There is actually no "dark side" of the moon b/c the moon rotates on its own axis.

When I talk about He-3 fusion, it is me taking an optimistic long-view b/c it is too depressing that fusion defines the limit of human ingenuity, and b/c the humanity needs an abundance of energy sources.

I think it is well within China's capability to send a laboratory to the moon to test the regolith for He-3 deposits. Initially it would be ideal to send a couple of Taikonauts along (but in another capsule) to conduct the experiments, and <b>IF</> all turns out well, the lab will have to be automated, with low maintenance.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.