Author: knox1234

Opinion: Why China's movies fail to gain traction in the US market   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
This post was edited by tatata69 at 2019-1-11 23:26
pnp Post time: 2019-1-11 11:57
That's getting Hollywood very worried about the new boy on the block challenging their status.

Like it or lump it, most Chinese citizens wouldn't want to go to the flicks to watch Chinese movies. On the contrary, they are agog to learn more  about American flicks featuring bionic characters, namely the superheros from Marvel Studios .  More to the point,  such American movies happen to be the highest-grossing ones in China

Use magic tools Report

Like it or lump it, most Chinese citizens wouldn't want to go to the flicks to watch Chinese movies. On the contrary, they are agog to learn more about  American flicks featuring bionic characters, namely the superheros from Marvel Studios .  More to the point,  such American movies happen to be the highest-grossing ones in China

Use magic tools Report

Some Chinese conservatives would tell you that China also stakes claim of the ownership of whole East Asia. That's why such Chinese Tartuffes  were tickled pink by the report that the United Arab Emirates had made a boo-boo: it reportedly used a  Chinese national  flag to represent America.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 6 DayEarlier |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-1-12 01:56
tatata69 Post time: 2019-1-11 19:27
Bruce Lee , who was born in America, didn't even take the trouble to learn Chinese when he was sti ...

Says who?

You are again making an ignorant comment which does not jive with the facts.

And you do have the great talent of shooting yourself in the mouth and then ask "why am I dying?"

Many Chinese born in China and who have never left the country speak only their provincial dialects.  That was especially the case in Hong Kong where he grew up after being brought back there by his dad as a child.

He grew up in a colonial environment where speaking Mandarin was not encouraged at the time of British colonial rule.  

This was done on purpose by the trouble-making Brits because they did not want to encourage communication between the Mainland Chinese across the border at Lo Wu and their colonial subjects in Hong Kong.  That's why to this day there is residual influence of the Brits causing miscommunication between Hong Kong residents and the Mainland leading to the laughable independence farce.  

Even transliteration of surnames in Hong Kong are done using Cantonese and not the national dialect.  

Brits deserve what they are getting in their present Brexit imbroglio -- sowing the wind only to be rewarded with the whirlwind.

Now that the Chinese nation is strong and the poor Brits are having so much trouble deciding whether they themselves want to be part of the European Union (the same kind of identity confusion that they had created in the places that they had colonized like Hong Kong and India in order to "divide and rule").

That's how Bruce Lee grew up in Hong Kong and became a child actor in films speaking the Cantonese dialect under his father's influence (his dad was in the film industry).  The written form of all Chinese dialects is the same as the national Mandarin dialect, and I can assure you that Bruce had excellent penmanship in writing Chinese characters, which I saw with my own eyes in his manuscript explaining what Jeet Kun Do ("The Way of the Intercepting Fist") was all about.

To say, therefore, that Bruce Lee "didn't take the trouble to learn Chinese" is like saying a Texan should lose that long drawl in his accent as a grown-up and speak like a New Englander or else "he is not taking the trouble to learn the American language."

Hey, how come all the infidels in this forum are such diehard brutish beasts competing to shoot themselves in the mouth and then ask "why am I dying?"

Bruce Lee's father was Cantonese and therefore he learned only Cantonese as a child. To this day many Cantonese-speaking Hong Kong residents share only the written language with the Mainlanders because they find it very difficult to learn to speak Mandarin as grown-ups, but this has no effect on their self-identity as patriotic Chinese, inasmuch as any Dallas Cowboy will tell you he is no less patriotic than a Bostonian Celtic.

Anyone who learned Cantonese as a child will have a heavy accent when he speaks Mandarin -- the national dialect which originated in the Northern Plains around the capital Beijing.

Use magic tools Report

tatata69 Post time: 2019-1-11 19:27
        Bruce Lee , who was born in America, didn't even take the trouble to learn Chinese when he was sti ...

Says who?

And you do have the great talent of shooting yourself in the mouth and then ask "why am I dying?"

Many Chinese born in China and who have never left the country speak only their provincial dialects.  That was especially the case in Hong Kong where he grew up after being brought back there by his dad as a child.

He grew up in a colonial environment where speaking Mandarin was not encouraged at the time of British colonial rule.  

This was done on purpose by the trouble-making Brits because they did not want to encourage communication between the Mainland Chinese across the border at Lo Wu and their colonial subjects in Hong Kong.  That's why to this day there is residual influence of the Brits causing miscommunication between Hong Kong residents and the Mainland leading to the laughable independence farce.

Now that the Chinese nation is strong and the poor Brits are having so much trouble deciding whether they themselves want to be part of the European Union (the same kind of identity confusion that they had created in the places that they had colonized like Hong Kong and India in order to "divide and rule").

That's how Bruce Lee grew up in Hong Kong and became a child actor in films speaking the Cantonese dialect under his father's influence (his dad was in the film industry).  The written form of all Chinese dialects is the same as the national Mandarin dialect, and I can assure you that Bruce had excellent penmanship in writing Chinese characters, which I saw with my own eyes in his manuscript explaining what Jeet Kun Do ("The Way of the Intercepting Fist") was all about.

To say, therefore, that Bruce Lee "didn't take the trouble to learn Chinese" is like saying a Texan should lose that long drawl in his accent as a grown-up and speak like a New Englander or else "he is not taking the trouble to learn the American language."

Hey, how come all the infidels in this forum are such diehard brutish beasts competing to shoot themselves in the mouth and then ask "why am I dying?"

Bruce Lee's father was Cantonese and therefore he learned only Cantonese as a child. To this day many Cantonese-speaking Hong Kong residents share only the written language with the Mainlanders because they find it very difficult to learn to speak Mandarin as grown-ups, but this has no effect on their self-identity as patriotic Chinese, inasmuch as any Dallas Cowboy will tell you he is no less patriotic than a Bostonian Celtic.

Anyone who learned Cantonese as a child will have a heavy accent when he speaks Mandarin -- the national dialect which originated in the Northern Plains around the capital Beijing.

Use magic tools Report

wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-12 01:20
Says who?

Please google his family background  or go to HK and ask around before making such hip-shooting gibberish here like this.  Hongkongers  also reckon that Bruce Lee's American, in spite of his influence on mixed martial arts in  HK and mainland China.  Only a headbanger--turned-nationalist  who is loth to read Western publications like you would deign  to accept the thinking that he's Chinese.

Who told you" his dad was in the film industry"? Mullah Omar? Pu. His dad was a Cantonese Opera actor, just like Hung Sin-nui, who was one of the most influential  Cantonese Opera actresses way back. Man, let's face it, Bruce also didn't know how to write Chinese characters, even though he was seen doing it in one of his movies back to the 70s, which showcases special effects rather than Chinese fighting techniques..  A chav like you can't figure out that actors and actresses can do anything in their movies? Have you ever found a practitioner of Kungfu flying in the sky? Do you think Jackie Chen is able to scale all the fences and skunk all the burly foreign fighters as he performs in his movies?

Kiddo, wake up and smell the coffee.  I suggest that you refrain from watching Cartoon Network or Disney Channel. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see you act like a nipper all the time here. No one cares about your tosh because you are not a columnist working at the Wall Street Journal. Kiddo, I'd hate to disabuse people of their cockamamy notions since that would provoke ire from a peacock like you. Yet I feel compelled to tell you that you don't know anything about China and its history.

Just keep talking like a self-respecting daydreamer here.

Use magic tools Report

Chinese dream? Sleep tight.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.