Views: 11445|Replies: 15

Chiinese national charged with committing theft of trade secrets   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-12-26 08:54:42 |Display all floors

Hongjin Tan, a 35 year old Chinese national and U.S. legal permanent resident, was arrested on Dec. 20 and charged with theft of trade secrets. Tan is alleged to have stolen the trade secrets from his employer, a U.S. petroleum company.

The announcement was made by Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers, U.S. Attorney Trent Shores for the Northern District of Oklahoma, and Special Agent in Charge Kathryn Peterson of the FBI Oklahoma City Field Office.

“The United States filed a criminal complaint against a Chinese national alleging the theft of intellectual property from a company with significant operations in Oklahoma,” said U.S. Attorney Shores. “The value of the trade secrets in this case is estimated to be more than $1 billion dollars. Theft of critical research, development, and other intellectual property harms the economic prosperity and security of the United States. My office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation will utilize all tools available to respond to these types of threats. We will protect Oklahomans and Oklahoma businesses by prosecuting those who violate the law.”

Hongjin Tan allegedly stole trade secrets related to a product worth more than $1 billion from his U.S.-based petroleum company employer, to use for the benefit of a Chinese company where he was offered employment, said Assistant Attorney General Demers. "The theft of intellectual property harms American companies and American workers. As our recent cases show, all too often these thefts involve the Chinese government or Chinese companies. The Department recently launched an initiative to protect our economy from such illegal practices emanating from China, and we continue to make this a top priority."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-27 00:04:17 |Display all floors
What??? No comments from the peanut gallery about how the Chinese would never do this? Only "Amerikans" and "The West" steal secrets? Too easy eating crow to comment?
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-27 11:03:54 |Display all floors
When EU charged US for espionage, EU could do nothing about it!
US power dominates the entire world!
China does not believe and thinks that Chinese are above law, just like they are at home!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-27 15:39:44 |Display all floors
I can not judge if your report is true or not due to lack of enough information! The case shows that is difficult for us to easily keep secrets as before in the Internet world!
The other day one foreign friend invited me to have a chat with him through QQ.  I hesitated to accept his invitation in afraid of leaking some secrets!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-28 18:19:29 |Display all floors
re:  "Hongjin Tan, a 35 year old Chinese national and U.S. legal permanent resident, was arrested on Dec. 20 and charged with theft of trade secrets. Tan is alleged to have stolen the trade secrets from his employer, a U.S. petroleum company."

Problem is that most people outside the 5 eye organization don't believe any more whatever their media is spewing out.
Regarding, the Chinese national and U.S. legal permanent residents; we thank him for making Chinese aware that the US is not a place for them.  Do not go there, or get the hell out of there before you're the next victim...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-28 18:38:21 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-12-28 18:19
re:  "Hongjin Tan, a 35 year old Chinese national and U.S. legal permanent resident, was arrested on ...
Problem is that most people outside the 5 eye organization don't believe any more whatever their media is spewing out.

I don't know what that has to do with this thread, but if we go that way, then a bigger problem is that in China most people still have no other choice than to believe whatever their media is spewing out.

Elsewhere, there is always a choice between various media, or even no media at all. In China, even that last choice is not really available.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-29 09:49:39 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-12-28 18:38
I don't know what that has to do with this thread, but if we go that way, then a bigger problem  ...

That's our problem,
  go and mind your own...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.