Views: 2989|Replies: 0

5 Chinese slangs definitely annoy you! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-12-19 14:28:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Maggie19 at 2018-12-20 10:15

There are many slangs in China, as a Chinese learner, I've got some from my Chinese teacher.

I just wanna share 5 of them which can express your annoyment or dissatisfaction.

1.耍嘴皮子(shuǎzuǐpízi)

Essentially, it can be used in a couple of different types of situations. One is for that person that talks about doing something but doesn’t act upon those words. For example, there are people who boast about a great business idea and how they will get rich but never take steps to make it happen. We all have met somebody like this. They can be described as “耍嘴皮子 (shuǎzuǐpízi).” The other is someone who shows off their persuasive abilities.

Example 1:
Yígè zhǐ huì shuǎzuǐpízi de rén, chángcháng búhuì bèi lǎobǎn xǐhuān.
一个只 会 耍嘴皮子 的 人,常常    不会 被 老板  喜欢。
A man who only talks without action is often not liked by the boss.

Example 2:
Tā shì wǒ jiàn guò de zuì huì shuǎzuǐpízi de rén.
他是 我 见 过 的 最 会 耍嘴皮子 的 人。
He is the most talkative person I have ever seen.

2.伤脑筋 (Shāng nǎojīn)

Most of us have faced this situation: You are typing a way on your computer and suddenly it freezes. So you wait. And wait. Then the battery dies and all of your hard work that was unsaved, disappears forever.

Example 1:

Zhè zhēn shì gè shāng nǎojīn de wèntí.
                    题。
This is really a knotty problem. (What a headache!)

3.栽跟头 (zāi gēntou)

Originally, back in the day, meant tumble. Now people often use it to refer to the lessons learned from setbacks, or setbacks suffered as a result of things like business failures or romantic frustrations.

Examples 1:
Wǒ zuótiān zài tā shǒu shàng zāi le gè gēntou.
昨天                          跟头。
I was cheated by him yesterday.

Examples 2:
Nàxiē dǒngháng de rén yǒushí yě huì zāi gēntou.

那些 懂行             有时           跟头。
Even those people who are experts and in the know sometimes suffer from setbacks.

4.电灯泡 (diàndēngpào)

It means third wheel. Or, a friend who gets in the way of two lovers on a date or romantic situation. The origin of the term, which comes from Cantonese, doesnt translate to third wheel, oddly enough it translates to a light bulb.

Examples 1:

Jīntiān shì qíngrénjiē, wǒ bùxiǎng chūmén dāng diàndēngpào.
今天     情人节,    不想     出门              电灯泡。
Today is the Valentine’s Day. I don’t want to go out and be the third wheel.

5.辣眼睛 (làyǎnjīng)

It is a way of commenting on something that makes your eyes feel like they have been damaged, similar to the English phrase makes my eyes bleed.On the internet in China, this word is used to describe things that people like to 吐槽 (tǔcáo) complain” about, its something they cant stand to look at. It is an internet slang for when you read or see something that is super ridiculous or surprising. You can use it to refer to an article that is completely ridiculous or a look that is a complete eyesore.

Example 1:
Tā zhè shēn zhuāngbàn zhēn shì làyǎnjīng!
           装扮            辣眼睛!
The way she is dressed up makes my eyes bleed.

Example 2:

Zhèlǐ de chǎngjǐng tài làyǎnjīng le, wǒ shí zài shòu bú le.
这里     场景       辣眼睛   了,我       了。

The setting here is too ridiculous, I really can't stand it.

If you know any other interesting Chinese slangs, comment below, hope we can share resources with each other.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.