Author: appleeater

China's top political advisor elected as head of national council [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-10-31 17:33:35 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-31 12:53
No, it was some pro-Beijing commentator on this forum.

So you take the commentator's words for offical policies? Come on, pal.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 17:47:51 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-31 13:00
Your argument seems to be, that under unified China, Taiwan will not be governed by the CPC-led  ...

The reason some politicos in Taiwan reject the One Country Two System is they don't want to lose their privileges, and opportunities for self-dealings, not because the formula fails to function in Hong Kong, Marco, which have seen rapid and sustainable development since their return to the mainland, with Hong Kong being among the most desireable places for work and living.

And roughly half of the young college graduates from Taiwan have been going for or planing a career in the mainland, all because of the vibrant economic scene in the mainland, which is in contrast with the gloomy outlook in the island. So Taiwan will be back, and it will be back very soon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 18:06:31 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2018-10-31 17:33
So you take the commentator's words for offical policies? Come on, pal.

No I don't, and that's my point exactly. I didn't that that commentator's words, and I'm not taking yours either.

As long as there is no ink on paper to declare the State Council's position on how (possible) future unified China will be governed, there is nothing. And I repeat that recent developments, in mainland and HK alike, do not look good for extension, or even continuation, of "One China, Two Systems".

Neither you nor the ones that want to slaughter the Taiwanese represent the official party line. Such line, if it exists, is not publicized in the detail that would satisfy anyone relevant.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 18:11:56 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-31 14:28
US took a position between the two sides, and subsequently sent fleet there, only after Korean W ...

You fail to see the wisdom of China going to bat for DPRK, while putting Taiwan on the back burner.

If North Korea was overrun by the US troops, then a direct military standoff between China and the US would be imminent on the borders. As for Taiwan, whose then leader, Mr. Kiang, would never allow the US to station its soldiers in the island, it has never been a substantiated threat, even today.

Get wise to the reality, don't you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 18:19:40 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2018-10-31 17:31
The fact is the ROK would not have existed, if it wasn't for the intervention by the US in the K ...
The UN, which was dominated by the west in the 1950s

To me it doesn't matter who it was dominated by. It was the only international entity worthy of declaring anything, and in this case it declared north's act an illegal invasion of the south, and reacted accordingly.

If the US withdrawal [from UN] comes to pass, would you say that the US is an illegal country?

Of course not. Being a member of the UN or not has no role in determining the validity or legality of a country. Countries are validated by other countries recognizing them.

However, I believe that UN has and should have the authority to condemn actions of nations, whether those nations are members in UN or not. If USA does withdraw, it does not give them license to go on illegal rampages any more than they did while in UN.

Did you hint that your country folks were in the habit of jumping ship as you pleased? Not a good predisposition, if it is true.

Then you should be interested to find out, that in WW2 Finland was allied with Nazi Germany, because it was seen as necessary choice to stop Soviet invasion. Lesser of two evils, and the right choice, as history since then has proved.

In these kinds of decisions most sovereign nations choose their paths as they please.

However, when Finland went from Sweden to Russian domination, that sovereiignty did not exist.

The people in Finland had little say in the matter (although it is generally considered a lucky chance for Finland). It was an arragement between Sweden and Russia - my country (or what would later be established as such) was just a pawn in a game of then-powers in northern Europe.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-10-31 22:12:26 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-30 02:39
Because their societies are generally speaking not so materialistic, greedy, or even outright ca ...

Where do you keep your "greedometer" when you're not using it on Chinese people?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 22:33:43 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-10-31 22:12
Where do you keep your "greedometer" when you're not using it on Chinese people?

In the same place of course, thow else could one compare one nation to another.

But do not make the mistake of thinking this as insult toward Chinese (at least from me). I happen to value certain amount of greed as an important human quality, as we probably have discussed in other threads.

The greed in Chinese society today is a result of extended suppression of the same greed in decades before reform era. Few other countries have done through similar reforms, and therefore the same greed cannot be observed in many other places.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.