Author: appleeater

China's top political advisor elected as head of national council [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-10-30 18:39:33 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-10-30 18:09
""I'm in China because China (where I am) is poor, and not only financially poor.""

You've said p ...
China has the second largest economy in the world today. [...] hundred of countries poorer than China. Why don't you move to one

Because their societies are generally speaking not so materialistic, greedy, or even outright capitalist like China's is. China serves western standards better in that perspective.

Despite having decades of growth (to second largest economy, nobody denies that), it has not been evenly distributed, and that creates economic disparity, which feeds further growth (and growing disparity) - but specifically under this pretext that Chinese society is filled with greed and materialism. It may not work so elsewhere.

In China, if a person X sees a wealthy person Y, X wants to become Y. Somewhere else, X wants to take what's Y's. China had that takeover of wealth in it's revolution, but it is only relatively recently that either Xs or Ys have been allowed to get wealthy.

Besides this, in personal level I have family connections to keep me here, which in the end is just another dimension of the (in this case largely immaterial) poverty that China displays. Western men are in demand here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-30 22:27:24 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-30 17:13
So are you suggesting that the arragement in HK will continue past year 2047, or that Taiwan can ...

After 2047, either the current system will be maintained in Hong Kong or there will be better arrangement in replacement of it. Additionally, "One country, two system" has long been floated for Taiwan issue, you are simply clueless about it.  

Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-30 23:09:11 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-30 17:09
Technically DPRK is an illegitimate child of China (and to lesser degree of Soviet Union), while ...

Technically and actually, DPRK is a sovereign country, unlike your country, which used to a legitimate child of the Russians, then eloped, and now has become an unloved mistress of the US.

Now you explained that you were taking advantage of continued poverty, that's intriguing, and yet pathetic, isn't it?

Taiwan's per capita GDP is more or less the same as that of Guangdong province in the mainland, which it used to look down upon in terms of economy just several years ago. and it would be surpassed by over 5 more mainland provinces in the next few years. But you may not know about this, as the western media has not fed you with anything about China that is accurate and useful.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 10:16:20 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2018-10-30 22:27
After 2047, either the current system will be maintained in Hong Kong or there will be better arra ...
better arrangement in replacement of it

You are speculating, no such word has been put forward by China's leaders, and you are in no position to do it on their behalf. Besides, better for who? The privileges that people in Hong Kong have been granted, have been eroding over last few years, as Beijing has been breaking the very arrangement you are praising.

"One country, two system" has long been floated for Taiwan issue,

Of course it has been floated, so has hostile takeover and driving the Taiwanese to the sea. These floats are nothing to care about, until you have official documents from the State Council.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 10:40:52 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-30 18:39
Because their societies are generally speaking not so materialistic, greedy, or even outright ca ...
Despite having decades of growth (to second largest economy, nobody denies that), it has not been evenly distributed, and that creates economic disparity, which feeds further growth (and growing disparity) - but specifically under this pretext that Chinese society is filled with greed and materialism. It may not work so elsewhere.

Do you really believe that the wealth is evenly distributed in the west? If you were really good at English, you would have known there were terms in English like hinterland, backwater, flyover country, that denote areas that were less developed than elsewhere in English-speaking countries.

In China, if a person X sees a wealthy person Y, X wants to become Y. Somewhere else, X wants to take what's Y's. China had that takeover of wealth in it's revolution, but it is only relatively recently that either Xs or Ys have been allowed to get wealthy.

You don't know what you are talking about, do you? What you stated about China is what actually has been happening in the west.  

Besides this, in personal level I have family connections to keep me here, which in the end is just another dimension of the (in this case largely immaterial) poverty that China displays. Western men are in demand here.

I don't give two hoots for your personal affairs, but evidently you are claiming you came to China not out of heartfelt desire, but to take advantage of poverty, is that out-and-out materialism? Westerners in demand? Probably, but only in the boondocks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 10:50:34 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2018-10-30 23:09
Technically and actually, DPRK is a sovereign country, unlike your country, which used to a legiti ...

Most entities (countries and people alike), legitimate or not, become independent and sovereign once they become of age. Fact is still, that DPRK would not exist, if it was not for intervention by Chinese troops against UN sanctioned forces in the south.

It is that act against UN, which in my books makes China's act illegal, and DPRK therefore an illegitimate child of China. Your books may be different, which is fine.

your country, which used to a legitimate child of the Russians, then eloped, and now has become an unloved mistress of the US.

Actually my country was part of Sweden before, but then eloped to Russia, under which it enjoyed increased autonomy but still not full sovereignty. Much like some regions in Greater China, I suppose.

explained that you were taking advantage of continued poverty, that's intriguing, and yet pathetic, isn't it?

I don't know what it is to you (or why it should be anything at all), but it serves me well.

Taiwan's per capita GDP is more or less the same as that of Guangdong [..] would be surpassed by over 5 more mainland provinces [...] But you may not know about

For the reasons stated above, I am not personally interested in how wealthy the provinces where I do not live are or will be. My closest connections to some of those provinces are from people working in both Guangdong and Zhejiang, with their children still left in muntains of rural Yunnan province, where I do live (not in the mountains, but in the province).

It is here, where I observe the continued poverty within the dysfunctional society, and how weak the central government really is in getting their reforms implemented nationwide. It is here where I want to see changes, instead of praising about prosperity of coastal regions. I want people and towns urbanized here, instead of urbanizing Guangzhou or Shenzhen while leaving their families behind.

western media has not fed you with anything about China that is accurate and useful.

Do consider that I live here, and can see things with my own eyes. I don't have to rely in media western or eastern.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-31 10:52:22 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-31 10:16
You are speculating, no such word has been put forward by China's leaders, and you are in no pos ...
Of course it has been floated, so has hostile takeover and driving the Taiwanese to the sea.

Scuttlebutt spread by the delusional western media.

These floats are nothing to care about, until you have official documents from the State Council.

If you were well-informed, and well-traveled, you would have known there was an official slogan that was erected at the city of Xiamen, which is facing toward Da Chen Island currently govern by Taiwan, and translated as "Unifying China with One Country Two Systems".  See you are wrong again.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.