Author: zhao jianguo

宁用武大郎,不选穆桂英 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-10-24 11:36:36 |Display all floors
It is precisely because he is weak that he is used to compare with the strong Mu, and the author is saying he would rather have a weak man than a strong woman to work for him.

Your use of this man to compare with today's youths who can't afford to buy a house in a metropolis is mean, irrelevant and unwarranted.

There are many men who can buy a house but are considered weak because of their character, and yet there are many others who can't buy a house but are considered strong because of their character.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-24 11:39:01 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-10-24 11:50

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-24 11:43:45 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-10-24 11:51

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-24 17:02:42 |Display all floors
I am interested. It is the first time I hear of such a saying in Chinese, perhaps it is due to culture difference of different regions within a country. It took me a while to know who that Mu is. She is not that well known as Mulan.

Wu is a symbol, so is Mu, but what is exactly represented by these two symbols is ambiguous or absurd to some degree. It might imply good looking should have played a more important role. It is a complicated matter and the interpretation varies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-24 18:57:17 |Display all floors
they are two persons existing only in fictions and it is ridiculous to find support from a Wiki source.

To cross fire with arguement is welcome, but to say that I keep your face or to make judgment of a debate party is unwelcome.

Both or more parties have expressed their sides and opinions, there is no necesssity to have an ultimate winner or loser. I think the OP should provide us with real samples in whcih the Chinese saying is put into use so that everybody can have a clear idea how it means.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-25 16:04:29 |Display all floors
To cross fire with arguement is welcome, but to say that I keep your face or to make judgment of a debate party is unwelcome.

You seem not to be aware of the fact that people in China are acutely aware of the importance of letting the other person save face when the latter is patently wrong in something known to the general public.

they are two persons existing only in fictions and it is ridiculous to find support from a Wiki source.

I don't believe in muddling through a debate and leaving doubts behind when everything is so succinctly clear to any Chinese with a 9-year basic compulsory education.

Even though interpretation of details may vary, Mu Guiying is a well-known figure in North Sung Dynasty and is not a figment of imagination.  The reference to Wikipedia was an after-thought when all the facts had been presented and the other guy still wants to prolong the debate for no reason.  That's the only reason Wikipedia was searched to lend support to my contention of who Mu Guiying is.

Just like if someone comes to you and say Charles Dickens is a Russian astronaut, and you say no he is not, and the guy continues to argue that he is right, you can go and pick up the Wikipedia reference to the British author as an AFTER-THOUGHT to clarify your position.  What's wrong with that?  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-25 16:10:35 |Display all floors
RoccoSiffredi Post time: 2018-10-24 18:57
they are two persons existing only in fictions and it is ridiculous to find support from a Wiki sour ...

A good idea!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.