Author: zhao jianguo

宁用武大郎,不选穆桂英 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-10-22 03:21:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-10-22 09:20
UpWithYourHand Post time: 2018-10-21 21:32
How do you know the man is weak and the woman is strong?

Elder Brother Wu is short in height only in the story, and he has a pretty wife and a hero younger brother, he earns living like everybody else, I do not see why you call him weak.

Mu Guiying is a female bandit born and raised at a mountain village, living an illegal life for all her days, I don't see either why you call her strong....

Did you ever read "Water Margin"?  You wouldn't have asked such a question had you really read the novel.

Everyone knows the short guy's image was supposed to represent weakness.  

Why?

Even though shortness per se doesn't connote weakness, but this one was short and weak.

The guy had to be told by his younger brother Wu Song how to live his life -- before the latter's departure from Qing He County on official business, he told his older brother Wu Da Lang to lower the blinds and stay put in the house as much as possible, because Wu Song had found that his sister-in-law was unchaste and had actually tried to seduce him.

Wu Song figured that if she would seduce even him (as her brother-in-law), what's going to stop her from doing the same on other men when he's absent from the scene?  So he needed to protect his elder brother by giving him advice.  But this goes to show how weak Wu Da Lang actually was in the face of external challengers as a man.  He didn't think he deserved such a pretty woman as Pan Jinlian -- his wife.

Now let's take the other character Mu Guiying.

I am sorry to tell you, but I do believe you've got it all mixed-up after drinking too much Qingdao Beer.

Mu Guiying was a Song (or Sung) Dynasty (960-1127 A.D.) heroine figure who was recognized for her military abilities and this image was widely publicized in the Beijing opera "Yang Jia Qiang (Military Generals from the Yang Family)."

The entire s.e.x.i.s.t content of  宁用武大郎,不选穆桂英 is thus unequivocal -- the imagery is actually so clear-cut that you can regard it as a denotation and not a connotation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-22 17:01:33 |Display all floors
Here is my translation.

It is better to hire a dwarf man instead of a capable woman.
Walter Chang from Shenyang

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-22 17:25:40 |Display all floors
zzxxll Post time: 2018-10-22 17:01
Here is my translation.

不错!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-22 18:30:18 |Display all floors
zzxxll Post time: 2018-10-22 17:01
Here is my translation.

Disagree.

As our friend UpWithYourHand says, the emphasis should not be on Wu's being a dwarf because you don't know if Mu is tall or not.

Do you know whether Mu is tall or short?  You don't.  

So to compare the two you must find something that can be contrasted.

So the only thing we know for sure is that Wu Da Lang is weak and Mu Guiying is strong.

That's why you can only contrast the two on the quality of weakness or strength.

Or else you can't overcome the objection of UpoWithYourHand.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-22 22:52:03 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-10-22 03:21
Did you ever read "Water Margin"?  You wouldn't have asked such a question had you really read the  ...

I haven't drunk Tsingtao Beer, you did.

Elder Brother Wu is absolutely not weak, on the contrary, he is strong enough, otherwise no pretty girl like his wife would have been married him, or given to him as a gift by his former employer for his excellent performance. His younger brother is a hero who is able to kill a man-eating tiger singlehandedly, so Elder Brother takes advice from his little brother for a safe living, it is very natural but it doesn't imply his weakness

Mu Guiying is a Robin Hood-like ganster before she captures a military officer of the government who comes to arrest her but later became her husband.  She may be strong, given that a young martial man is forced to become her husband, but she has a black history of anti-society behavior.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-23 07:14:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-10-23 07:23
UpWithYourHand Post time: 2018-10-22 22:52
I haven't drunk Tsingtao Beer, you did.

Elder Brother Wu is absolutely not weak, on the contrary, ...

Hello:

You are really a funny and brash young man.

I know it doesn't feel good to be wrong about something but that's the only way to learn.

Mr. Zhao is a good translator and yet you notice how humble he is in his demeanor.

In contrast, I tried to give you face and yet you persist in being brash and unreasonable.

You are wrong in both counts on Wu Da Lang and Mu Guiying.

Wu Da Lang is a well-known symbol of weakness and this has nothing to do with his short stature.

Your comment here that he won his wife Pan Jinlian as a gift by his former employer is laughable.  

Pan Jinlian was trying to resist unwanted advances from her previous boss whose wife was mighty jealous of the attention heaped on her by the husband, and wouldn't allow her to stay in her household.  

The rejected husband feared his wife and therefore chose Wu Da Lang for Pan as a form of punishment on Pan for her rejection.

So throughout history people laughed at Wu Da Lang because he allowed his life to be run by someone else.

The Mu Guiying you are referring to is not the same person as the well known female general depicted in the Peking Opera.

If you still don't believe me, go to wikipedia and type in her name Mu Guiying, and you will find the following on her:

Mu Guiying (穆桂英) is a legendary heroine from ancient China's Northern Song Dynasty and a prominent figure in the Generals of the Yang Family legends. She is the wife of Yang Zongbao and mother of Yang Wenguang. Brave, resolute and loyal, Mu is the cultural symbol of a steadfast woman.[1]
Contents.

Mu Guiying practiced martial arts from a young age after her bandit father Mu Yu (穆羽) who ruled the Muke Fortress (穆柯寨). One day Yang Zongbao, the youngest warrior of the illustrious Yang clan, came to the fortress demanding the Dragon-Taming Wood (降龍木) on the order of his father, Marshall Yang Yanzhao. Mu refused so they fought in a duel which resulted in Yang Zongbao being captured. While Yang Zongbao refused to surrender and demanded death, Mu found herself attracted to her prisoner and boldly made a marriage proposal, which Yang Zongbao eventually accepted. After Yang Zongbao returned and reported the events, an infuriated Yang Yanzhao ordered the disgraced son executed. To save Yang Zongbao, Mu came out of the fortress and engaged in a battle with Yang Yanzhao, also capturing him. Mu apologized to her future father-in-law and finally Yang Yanzhao agreed to the marriage and welcomed Mu to his family and troops.

Mu played a huge part in the following battle against the Khitan forces, especially in breaking their previously unstoppable Heavenly Gate Formation (天門陣).

Mu Guiying had 2 children with Yang Zongbao, son Yang Wenguang and daughter Yang Jinhua.

I tried very hard to give you face but you don't seem to be the kind of person who accepts courtesy, and simply need to have the last word.

Please don't pretend to understand Chinese folklore or characters in novels when you obviously don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-23 22:23:47 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-10-23 07:14
Hello:

You are really a funny and brash young man.

Even Plato says that he loves his teacher but he loves the truth more than his teacher. So your comment doesn't make any sense. I did not ask for your face, so keep it to yourself.

I admit that Elder Brother Wu is a cuckold and a victim for his tragic marriage to an evil woman, but at least he is able to to have his own living and his own estate, much better than many college graduates and even overseas returned students who cannot afford a house in the city where they work. So it is unjustified to call him weak.

As Ms Mu, since her father is a bandit, she must be a bandit too, and as you told us, she loved the man she captured, is it that she loved the kidnapper as the  hostage in Stockholm some years back? Is it a sign of her being strong? Another bad thing about this woman is that she is a widow only of a military officer, but that cannot justify her official post of a top commander of troops. If Trump dies, only Pence takes over, but not Melanie or Ivanka can act as President of the USA, right? She really benefits from nepotism and sets a bad example for later generations. In this sense, she is much inferior to Elder Brother Wu.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.