Views: 17242|Replies: 7

Will more week-long holidays help reduce travel congestion? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-10-7 09:50:18 |Display all floors
(China Plus) Some economists and experts in China are suggesting that the authorities should reorganize the country's vacation system to avoid the over-crowded phenomena in the traveling and tourism market during the National Day holiday, reports Chinanews.com.

Tourists visit the Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum in Nanjing during the 2018 National Day holiday. [Photo: Chinanews.com]

As the only week-long holiday besides the New Year holiday, the National Day holiday has become the choice for many Chinese citizens to travel long distances, get married, visit friends and family, or all three. This has led to serious congestion, putting a strain on not only travel infrastructure, tourist resorts and roads but also on people's holiday schedules, according to the report.

To solve the problems, some experts suggest that the authorities should set a week-long holiday in August for people to avoid the summer heat and restart the one in May. Thus, people in China will have a week-long holiday in every quarter of the year.

"People will be able to travel at different times and lots of congestion will be avoided", said Liu Simin, an expert in tourism study with the Beijing Foreign Studies University.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-7 09:50:35 |Display all floors

Tourists visit the Ancient Town of Fenghuang in central China's Hunan province during the 2018 National Day holiday. [Photo: Chinanews.com]

Other experts suggest that a fair vacation system is closely related with people's feelings about happiness and will promote the working efficiency and productivity of the work force.

In the first four days of the 2018 National Day holiday, or golden week, the number of tourists peaked in many tourist resorts in China with the total number reaching about 502 million, according to the report by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-7 13:20:01 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-10-7 09:50
Tourists visit the Ancient Town of Fenghuang in central China's Hunan province during the 2018 Natio ...

Indeed, them # are mind boggling...

Could you imagine the chaos in the EU or US with such numbers on the road

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-10-8 09:12:56 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-10-7 13:20
Indeed, them # are mind boggling...

Could you imagine the chaos in the EU or US with such numbe ...

They would never allow it to get like that....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-9 11:52:24 |Display all floors
Doubtful having more holidays will lessen the crowds.  The Chinese would travel en mass in each and everyone of those holidays; they are bitten by the travel bug!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-10 10:00:59 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-10-9 11:52
Doubtful having more holidays will lessen the crowds.  The Chinese would travel en mass in each and  ...

RE:  " they are bitten by the travel bug!"

Yes, they're; and so is meself.
However; You never see me or my ilk sitting on the pavement with a sign " Them Begpacking"

I have seen many white travellers selling postcards and playing the guitar with signs saying: “I am travelling around Asia without money. Please support my trip,”  In my opinion, that is begging.
    Certain young Western persons, with all the privileges of wealth, education and status in the world, trying to cadge money in a poor country to ensure they have enough to hit the next beach party.

However, it's a sign that not ALL is so well over there...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-10 11:23:21 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-10-10 10:00
RE:  " they are bitten by the travel bug!"

Yes, they're; and so is meself.

You are so right about those street beggars! They are disgusting, they should never ask the locals to support their travels; if they are too poor, just stay at home; the locals have their own needs to support, can't afford to support them!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.