Views: 2035|Replies: 10

Palliative care policy in China. [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-9-29 21:12:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2018-9-29 05:15

Both my mother and my father have passed away years ago.
The both received palliative care in their last days and weeks.
I am from the USA and they both passed away in the USA.
When treatment for their serious ailments no longer were effective
they were put in palliative care. This basically means they have no
hope of recovering from their illness and palliative care provides
the greatest amount of comfort and pain relief so they can pass away
with the greatest amount of peace.
It is not euthanasia which means purposely ending the patient's life
at the request of the patient.
It simply means providing the most pain relief and comfort before
the inevitable happens.

In the USA, if a patient requests they do not want to be kept alive
if they are hopeless and in a disabled state, they can sign papers
that will signal to the health care providers they want to die a
nature death. This basically means to remove artificial means to
keep them alive. Palliative care, of course, will be provided.

I wonder what the policy is in China if a patient has no chance of
recovery and is in a permanently disabled state from something such
as a massive stroke. In the USA they call this a vegetative state.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-30 17:21:45 |Display all floors
Depends a lot on how good care the person (or his/her family) can afford, and where. Rural China is very different from first tier cities in this perspective.

My father-in-law from rural China passed away a year ago. He was never even told what the problem was, only family members were informed that there is no hope. But probably he knew that end was coming.

He spent about a week in hospital, taking something for pain as well as fat in IV. Then he was sent home.

His son drove him back to the mountains, and after the couple of hour drive there he was already in so much pain that it took long time to convince him to get out of the car - every movement hurt.

Eventually he was carried down the mountainside to his home and put in bed. He never got up again, and passed away within 24 hours of release from hospital.

Good thing is that when it happened, he was in home surrounded by family and friends who knew what was coming. Had he spent the final hours in hospital, it would have been next to impossible for all those people to get there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-2 20:16:22 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-9-30 01:21
Depends a lot on how good care the person (or his/her family) can afford, and where. Rural China is  ...

I could come up with dreadful anecdotes from the USA or any country in the world if I wanted to.

But my question of the policy of China regarding palliative care remains unanswered.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-2 23:27:57 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-10-2 20:16
I could come up with dreadful anecdotes from the USA or any country in the world if I wanted to.

my question of the policy of China regarding palliative care remains unanswered.

I believe I summarized it in the beginning of my reply - there is no policy other than what you are financially capable of, and where you are located (as it limits the options).

Also if you end up in vegetative state, it all depends on how long sustainance your (or your family's or insurance's) money can buy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-2 23:38:28 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-2 07:27
I believe I summarized it in the beginning of my reply - there is no policy other than what you  ...

But I do not believe you know the policy of palliative care in China.
Anyone can say that you receive better care if you have more money in any nation of the world.
That does not address my original question.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-3 14:37:27 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-10-2 23:38
But I do not believe you know the policy of palliative care in China.
Anyone can say that you rece ...

Would you believe that nobody knows it, because there is no such policy documented?

For example in my home country there is a documented, extensive list of "all" typical medical conditions, and medical responses that the the doctors should recommend, and what the state can afford to provide in level of the whole population. This also guides palliative care in public hospitals. In private hospitals it is the same as in China - you get what you pay for.

China does not have such details for public healthcare (palliative or other) documented. Doctors are trained certain way, and they use their own (or their colleagues) expertise to decide what to do with each patient.

In China if you are hospitalized foe whatever reason, you have to pay for each night in hospital, and most families have limits to how long they can afford that, and where.

There is normally a fixed fee for the bed, and then a menu of add-ons starting from helping with toilet visits to serving meals, that come with separate pricing. Most Chinese families put a family member to stay in the room with the patient to do those things, to avoid those extra fees.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-8 18:58:38 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-2 22:37
Would you believe that nobody knows it, because there is no such policy documented?

For example i ...

So clue in the rest of the world what these documents in Finland contain.
We're all dying to hear.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.