Author: Grace222

Chinese university student expelled over insulting China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-9-27 15:03:20 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-9-26 19:14
How on Earth can anyone say he "insulted China"?

Don't the overzealous officials realise that such ...

Despite your many years of participation in our Chinese forum, you still don't have any basic understanding of what it means to be a Chinese.

That's because you are like that silly, headless humming bee buzzing haphazardly among flowers but never bother to suck their honey because you aren't equipped to do so.

In your next life, be sure to ask Jehovah to grant you a new life as a Chinese.   

Hopefully you'll be able to do better in comprehension tests.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-27 15:15:12 |Display all floors
If members on here were expelled for insulting comments on the CD forum I would be just one of a handful of posters left

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-27 15:44:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-9-27 15:45

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-27 18:38:53 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-9-27 15:03
Despite your many years of participation in our Chinese forum, you still don't have any basic unde ...

So what does it mean to be Chinese?

My grandparents were Chinese, but they certainly don't act like Mainland Chinese people do today, especially online. I don't know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-27 18:43:51 |Display all floors
Well, I thought it was okay for him to express his feelings about his lack of love for China, but it is inappropriate to attack others for loving China.

But I don't agree with the Chinese reaction on this thread, either.

China is not so fragile that you can't contain any criticism. Whatever happened to the great Chinese civilization. It is because you aren't sure of China either, that you can't allow people to express what you fear could be actually true for you too.

Don't worry. The whole world is messed up. It is not just China. You don't need to get your feelings hurt over something so silly.

I think a more mature and appropriate reaction from the university would be to have a nice chat with him. You should have tried to win him over to prove that what he said lacks a foundation, but now by expelling him, you have just proven to him that his feelings were correct.

Too bad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-28 05:44:30 |Display all floors
oranges111 Post time: 2018-9-27 18:38

My grandparents were Chinese, but they certainly don't act li ...

Please see if this meets with your need to understand:

When I was a kid, I used to hear people comment positively on the vitality and beauty (yiu-mei) of Chinese civilization. I thought the comment was interesting but probably akin to praising one's own 'bright' children -- but of course, doesn't everyone say that about his/her OWN culture or civilization?

As I grew older, traveled the world and lived in three continents, it began to dawn on me that this is not the case at all.

Chinese civilization is indeed beautiful precisely because it absorbs and gives due credit to excellence of other civilizations without jingoiistic concerns. By adapting and modifying the good points of other cultures without prejudice, it has grown increasingly attractive over the millennia.

For example, the musical instrument Er Hu was introduced from countries further west on the Silk Road and everyone in China learns that as part of their school curriculum.

Unfortunately, I have found that this cannot be said of Western civilization. Not only does the West not want to shed its facade of supercilious pretenses based on its racist colonial past, it does not give credit even where credit is evidently due.

For example, even today you will find few popular works (except those written by a few professional historians) acknowledging that movable- type printing was invented by Pi Sheng in Northern Sung Dynasty. For reference to that epochal invention, they always hark back to Johann Gutenberg and the first Bible. It's as if I had built the first Chinese computer and found it appropriate to lay claim to being the inventor of the computer itself.

Furthermore, there are even books written today saying that paper was invented by the Egyptians and that the word papyrus is proof that this was the case.

Many Westerners have never heard of Cai Lun of East Han Dynasty, who invented the first real paper (known as Cai Hou Zi or Count Cai's Paper) in 105 A.D and presented it to Emperor Han He Di. Others are even contesting the authenticity of the first gunpowder, rockets and even the first compass of Chinese origin.

I believe that such non-recognition actually stems from basic insecurity and fear that if the truth comes out, the West would look not so superior in material advancement over the centuries, as their school texts have touted all this time in their entire educational experience.

The basic reason why the Chinese people find it easy to give credit where it is due is because of the secular nature of Chinese civilization. It is not for communist or nationalist or whatever creed-derived reasons that they are not miserly in their praise of other cultures.

It is the Chinese civilization itself that is so instrumental in bringing about this policy of proper decorum towards all nations. Devoid of political influence of monotheistic institutions, it does not have to defend itself against merits of religion-based alien cultures. When the American Congress uses the FLG to destabilize Chinese society, it finds few buyers in the Chinese nation because people understand what an evil cult is like and that there is no lack of religious freedom in China.

On the other hand, it is precisely the West that as a whole does not lend itself to religious freedom.

There are so few Islamic mosques and Confucian temples in the West, compared with the number of Christian churches in East Asian nations, that one can actually say that religious freedom as touted by the West is a one-way street for cultural invasion. There are no other non-economic reasons for this phenomenon.

As an extension of the above argument, I would point out that the genuine friendliness of the Chinese people is the corollary of this unique quality of self-assurance and non-alienation. It is interesting to note in passing that many people, including expatriates, told me that for some reason they don't feel lonely in China, as they do living in America. Wherever you go in China, the people there will try to make you feel at home.

They don't do this out of expediency, but simply because they want to. This of course has to do with Confucianism, which is a philosophy essentially teaching people how to treat one another living in crowded places with limited natural resources such as irrigation water and arable land.

As modernization sets in, it is easy to lose this human touch. It behooves everyone of us to make sure that our government's policies are conducive to sustaining this unique quality in our society. Overly materialist societies are seldom sustainable in the long run. Prosperity without equitable concern for Mankind as a whole is like paint on a mosaic -- when rain comes it will all be washed away.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-28 05:46:03 |Display all floors
oranges111 Post time: 2018-9-27 18:38

My grandparents were Chinese, but they certainly don't act li ...

I have uploaded a post for you specifically for this issue.

Please wait....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.