Author: Grace222

Chinese university student expelled over insulting China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 6 DayEarlier |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-10-11 07:26
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-10 15:57
Perhaps you should then write what you really think, instead of writing one thing and thinking of  ...

Nope, I am afraid you have to talk to yourself in front of a mirror.

I was nice enough to try to answer your query in detail -- whether the country could be divorced from the civilization, since your argument was that anyone who criticizes China the country was not being critical about her civilization.

I explained to you that the two can't be divorced because the country is the physical carrier of the civilization, and I even invoked the example of the Native Americans to show that since they had been exterminated the physical carrier is gone and the civilization, no matter how spendid it could have been, is no more than an archeological relic.  That's why it is important to support whoever is doing such a good job to protect that physical carrier.  Then you went off on a tangent of how Native American culture is different as part of human history etc. etc.   You seem to enjoy talking to yourself so I'll try not to disturb you further.

You come across as being agitated and belligerent for whatever reason....and I'll just let the readers decide.

I really have no time for you, so sorry......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 5 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Fan Bingbing -- remember this name.

You will hear about her again, now that she's not going to prison and has hundreds of millions of dollars left after paying the back taxes.

She might adopt a child from Africa.

Use magic tools Report

wchao37 Post time: 2018-10-10 17:02
Nope, I am afraid you have to talk to yourself in front of a mirror.

I was nice enough to try to a ...
your argument was that anyone who criticizes China the country was not being critical about her civilization.

Now we are getting somewhere. Your attempts to address that specific issue came in so many posts, that I already gave my response to it as reply to one of of the earlier attempts (see page 16), and not the final version on previous page 18.

I suspect that you missed it between your repeated efforts to get your posts through the filter.

Which is funny, because you kept blaming me for not reading the comments I replied to, when it was in fact you who did that, and only because of your own inability to navigate the forum's filter mechanism. You took yourself to that mess, no need to blame others.

We since then moved on to discuss Native Americans among other things. I'd gladly mention, that I'd also criticize some of the early (mainly South) American civilizations for things like human sacrifices and cannibalism, and use of those practises to rule by terror, but that doesn't mean that I detest the entire Native American civilization.

Some tribes/countries in Americas did it much better. Same applies for Chinese civilization beyond PRC. Someone may criticize PRC, and only PRC - not rest of Chinese civilization.

Use magic tools Report

Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-11 12:44
Now we are getting somewhere. Your attempts to address that specific issue came in so many posts ...

Your explanation of what had happened is plausible, and so I accept it without prejudice.

The fact that the essay was truncated due to the filters was beyond anybody's control, and so I can understand why you thought the boldfaced passage about Native Americans was directed at you.  It wasn't at all.  That "YOU" meant anybody, and not YOU specifically.  

So you ended up defending yourself by saying you had gone out with someone who had Native American ancestry.  I can see how that could be a misunderstanding.

Thank you for your explanation and keep up the good work.

Glad to have had this conversation with you.

Use magic tools Report

wchao37 Post time: 2018-10-11 14:01
Your explanation of what had happened is plausible, and so I accept it without prejudice.

The fac ...
so I can understand why you thought the boldfaced passage about Native Americans was directed at you.  It wasn't at all.  That "YOU" meant anybody, and not YOU specifically.

I understood that from the very beginning. I took the opportunity to represent myself as one example of the whole collective who has heard about Native American civilizations.

Basically a first hand account of what you tried to deny existing, in your attempt to showcase Chinese civilization as superior to Native American civilizations. Which, by the way, I am not necessarily denying - but I am again only talking about the civilization, not the current country.

I really don't know how many pages the whole Mayan, Aztec, and other civillizations in South America for example, get in Chinese primary school text books. They are quite well known in west, often much better than Chinese.

Also, whilst we are discussing the possibility to separate a country from the civilization that it is based on, consider this:

China's history under CPC, pretty much the whole first half of it, is something that the leadership would prefer to bury as deep as it can. This is in response to one of your earlier claims, that Native American civilizations have lost their representatives, and therefore can only be studied by digging up old bones an dwellings.

Well, situation seems pretty much the same with China's history under CPC. The little critical history there is studied, occurs mainly outside China. If the early South American civilizations had survived and adopted similar censoring and propagandizing approach to their own history, there would be much less that we'd know about them today.

As for historical account of Chinese civilization, ethnic Chinese diaspora around the world is luckily so large and well established, that for this overall history of the civilization the world really does not need to rely on strictly Chinese sources. It is only that part of fairly recent history, of which much remains in shadow.

In this perspective, it is the Chinese government that is clearly separating the country's history from the history of the civilization. That alone can be a cause for identity crisis for some Chinese youth. They wonder "why does my country need to do this - is my country so bad?".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 4 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-10-11 17:02
I understood that from the very beginning. I took the opportunity to represent myself as one exa ...
Basically a first hand account of what you tried to deny existing, in your attempt to showcase Chinese civilization as superior to Native American civilizations. Which, by the way, I am not necessarily denying - but I am again only talking about the civilization, not the current country.

I think you drank too much Maotai while reading my posts.  I said nothing of the sort.  In fact, I am a defender of what's left of the Native American civilization.

As to the rest, I think CD readers are smart enough to decide for themselves.

Your paragraphs such as the following show that you are still caught in the web of self-doubt, which I believe is entirely unnecessary.  Despite a few flies in the room, the house is clean and we are doing fine.  I'll guarantee that this cannot be said of any other big country in our contemporary world.

In this perspective, it is the Chinese government that is clearly separating the country's history from the history of the civilization. That alone can be a cause for identity crisis for some Chinese youth. They wonder "why does my country need to do this - is my country so bad?".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 4 DayEarlier |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-10-12 16:16
I think you drank too much Maotai while reading my posts.  I said nothing of the sort.  In fact, ...

You did say this: "Why it is that you've never heard about the splendid civilization of the Native American tribal societies? "

I try to fix this misconception. In the west we have heard about them, and in most cases more than we have of the Chinese civilization. It is hardly our fault, if Chinese are less educated on the matter.

Despite a few flies in the room, the house is clean and we are doing fine.

Speaking of flies, that's what flies in any random dumpster would say as well. It takes someone who is not a fly to see that.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.