Author: tenderloin

The eventual military alliance of China and Russia. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-12-25 15:42:28 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-12-21 10:01
Yeah, but I think it is spelt as Manzhouli.

Thanks for the correction, I been there and drove into Russia so many times that i ought to know better.
  Out of courosity; did you ever make this interesting road trip?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-25 17:01:17 |Display all floors
Yes emanreus: I passed through that place on the way to Vladivostok.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-26 17:23:09 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-12-25 17:01
Yes emanreus: I passed through that place on the way to Vladivostok.

Soon a 180km-long high-speed railroad will link China’s city of Suifenhe in southeastern Heilongjiang province with Russia’s Vladivostok in the Far East...
  The new railroad will be part of the Mudanjiang-Vladivostok high-speed rail link.

How does it feel to take the high-speed train in China", Adam Richards, who has lived in China since 2011, said, "When you realize that your North American infrastructure is light years behind China's, you feel ashamed."

Richards has a point. China currently has the world's longest high-speed rail network, about a third of which has been designed to run at a speed of 350 kilometers per hour.

China is developing new bullet trains with a speed up to 400 kph, and is also researching the next generation magnetic-levitation train with a top speed of 600 kph...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-29 13:46:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-12-30 07:08
emanreus Post time: 2018-12-26 17:23
Soon a 180km-long high-speed railroad will link China’s city of Suifenhe in southeastern Heilon ...

Yup, Suifenghe is an essential hub to travel to Vladivostok.

One look at Vladivostok and you know Russia is a poor but proud country.  Its people weren't as friendly as Americans in general.  I saw with my own eyes how undisciplined the border security personnel were.  

I was waiting to change trains at the border because trains on the Chinese side of the border ran on a different track-width from those on the Russian side.  Some of the guards were chewing what looked like melon seeds and spitting out the external shells on the ground while at work.  Russia in general is a backward nation and even many hotel toilets in major cities like Moscow, St. Petersberg and Vladivostok weren't modernized.  Some hotels had pre-WWII vintage toilets -- those that couldn't be flushed at the push of a lever.  They still harbored a carry-over of the kind of supercilious attitudes that folks from the Soviet Union used to have towards their Asian neighbors.  

Not many Chinese people like the Russians no matter what kind of relationship we have as neighboring nations because they just aren't very friendly towards us.  You wouldn't know this until you go to Russia yourself.  That's probably a remnant of their historical experience in living under Mongol rule for the better part of two centuries.

I also saw a very stern and mean-looking female guard, staring at a throng of ordinary Chinese workers lined up at the security checkpoint to go to Vladivostok.  These ordinary workers were carrying huge loads of merchandise because they could sell their wares at Vladivostok to earn a high profit.  The woman didn't try to help at all but just kept on staring, chewing and spitting out shells right in front of the foreign visitors.  

Everything in V city was far more expensive than in China.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-29 16:53:38 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-12-29 13:46

One look at Vladivostok and you know ...

re: "The woman didn't try to help at all but they kept on staring, chewing and spitting right in front of the foreign visitors."

I see, small wonder you're pissed off with that very stern and mean-looking female guard.  Spitting right in front of you would even upset a member of the ex Mongol Empire...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-29 18:41:16 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-12-29 16:53
re: "The woman didn't try to help at all but they kept on staring, chewing and spitting right in f ...

I couldn't believe the lack of discipline of these border guards.

And if you had ever gone to the subway in Moscow, you'd find that the buildings and the people work in those buildings are mis-matched.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-30 07:52:28 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-12-26 17:23  
Soon a 180km-long high-speed railroad will link China’s city of Suifenhe in southeastern Heilon ...

One look at Vladivostok and you know Russia is a poor but very proud country.  Its people weren't as friendly as Americans in general.  I saw with my own eyes how undisciplined the border security personnel were.  

I was waiting to change trains at the border because trains on the Chinese side of the border ran on a different track-width from those on the Russian side.  Some of the guards were chewing what looked like melon seeds and spitting out the external shells on the ground while at work.  Russia in general is a backward nation and even many hotel toilets in major cities like Moscow, St. Petersburg and Vladivostok weren't modernized.  Some hotels had pre-WWII vintage toilets -- those that couldn't be flushed at the push of a lever.  They still harbored a carry-over of the kind of supercilious attitudes that folks from the Soviet Union used to have towards their Asian neighbors.  
In the case of St. Petersburg, which did have some beautiful architecture like the Winter Palace and some of the subway stations, but my experience of traveling to that city was too bad.  I was robbed in broad daylight at the Nevsky Subway Station, soon after I came out of the McDonald Restaurant near that station. The ones who did it looked like Chechens.
And in Moscow, in the middle section of the long descents into the subway trains there was always a grouchy Russian woman who couldn’t speak a word of English or Chinese.  At the window of the sales office of the Opera House, there was also a poorly-trained middle-aged woman who growled at the customers at her window whenever she couldn’t understand what they were asking her about.  In other words, the etiquette of the service sector was terrible in general.  Plus the fact that the toilet at my hotel was of pre-WWII vintage (you had to manually operate the plunger which was atop the toilet bowl and couldn’t just flush it).

Not many Chinese people have a good experience with the Russians no matter what kind of relationship we have as strategic partners because they just aren't very friendly towards us.  You wouldn't know this until you go to Russia yourself.  That's probably a remnant of their historical experience in living under Mongol rule for the better part of two centuries.

I also saw a very stern and mean-looking female guard, staring at a throng of ordinary Chinese workers lined up at the security checkpoint to go to Vladivostok.  These ordinary workers were carrying huge loads of merchandise because they could sell their wares at Vladivostok to earn a high profit.  The woman didn't try to help at all but just kept on staring, chewing and spitting out shells right in front of the foreign visitors as if they didn’t exist.  

By the way, everything in Vladivostek was far more expensive than the same items sold in China.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.