Double Standards - World Affairs - Chinadaily Forum
Views: 6916|Replies: 50

Double Standards   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-8-6 16:26:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WENGEWANG at 2018-8-6 16:37

I have been a fan of the Chinese operating system Deepin for a few years. I like reading information about it, but whenever I do a search for it on Google, I am hit with disinformation. It's not just Deepin, there tends to be disinformation about Chinese programs all throughout the internet. One common rumor that goes around is that there is a backdoor for the Chinese goverment on Chinese programs, or operating systems. These rumors are designed to discourage computer users from using either Chinese operating systems, or programs. However, it's had a different response on me. Whenever I hear of such rumors, my immediate response is, does that ALSO mean that western operating systems have backdoors, especially those heavily promoted by mainstream western websites. One operating system that I had long been suspicious of has been Ubuntu. This is an operating system that receives a lot of praise. You know what that means. Any operating system that receives a lot of praise has to be suspect. So I do a search for Ubuntu backdoor. Not surprisingly, very little is shown in the results. Only one result directly addresses the issue of Ubuntu having backdoors for the US goverment. Here is what I discovered. The gatekeepers in the west deal with controversy, or potential disent in two ways. One is to send in a shil, and dismiss the claims made by the original poster who also suspected Ubuntu of having backdoors for the US goverment. Two. Downvote the accusation. This is used frequently in western forums to discredit netizens. One shil can downvote someone with multiple accounts. Three. Insult the original poster for making claims against the US goverment. Four. Accuse those who are suspicious of the US goverment of being paranoid. Five. Try to discredit the source by accusing it of being "baseless ramblings". Six. Defend the US goverment by claiming that the US goverment is securing computers rather than invading privacy, and violating rights. Once the shil has made his comment, the moderators close the topic entirely, so that no one else can comment on it. I've posted the screenshot

ubuntup.PNG

Now let's turn the tables. If someone makes the same accusation against a Chinese program, or platform, will anyone in the downvote, insult him, or accuse him of being paranoid? No. Instead, what we do find is, the asker of the question is not attacked, or insulted. The shils who accuse Chinese programs of spying end up getting upvoted instead of downvoted by other shils. Often times western shils will even use Chinese names to make it appear as if real Chinese people are making these accusations.

Why is this important? The west often accuses China of sensorship, but why is it that when western websites do it, it's ok? And no one talks about it. Pay close attention. The website states that the topic was closed because it is opinion based, meaning there are no facts to back it up the fact that the US goverment spies on people through Ubuntu. But millions of claims against China are also based on opinion. Why aren't those closed? And why would China be in the wrong if they too closed topics due to them being opinion based?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-6 17:07:12 |Display all floors
Look at one of the shils responding in the Ubuntu page. He says "Do some research before posting here". Now why don't they say that when shils are making claims against Chinese services. I've seen rumors being spread about Wechat, Baidu, UC Browser, Deepin, and Alibaba, all very popular services with a following overseas. I've even heard conspiracy theorists make baseless ramblings against Chinese phones such as Xiaomi, and other popular Chinese phones like Oppo.

Also, look up at the Ubuntu page, and another shil had this to say. "A few people bickering in a forum thread without evidence is not a viable security threat". Man, I wish they could apply that very same logic against those who bicker about Chinese platforms. I wish someone could copy and paste these same exact words being spewed by western shils, and paste them on the anti Chinese pages.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-8-6 17:52:13 |Display all floors
Edward Snowden has proven that nothing is safe from the prying eyes of the US government. That includes your personal computer and your cell phone.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-6 19:31:49 |Display all floors
Blah, blah, blah. In this day and age, no one thinks the west is innocent anymore. Why are you still going on about that?

Blah, blah, blah. US did this, China did that. Who cares. Learn to love each other. Enjoy your life. That's it. Everything else is none of your business, and nonsense to even think about. Why? Because you are not high enough in the pyramid to ever know the truth of what's going on. What's the point of debating when you don't have all the information. All news is nonsense. Forget it. Live your life, love others, help each other, enjoy life, practice forgiveness, try to make the world a better place. That's it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-7 12:16:40 |Display all floors
friend111 Post time: 2018-8-6 19:31
Blah, blah, blah. In this day and age, no one thinks the west is innocent anymore. Why are you still ...

"What's the point of debating when you don't have all the information. All news is nonsense. Forget it."

You have missed the whole point of Forum; it's a platform for discussion, for sharing ideas, which may not be perfect, but we all learn from what is said here!  Shut your mind out of other peoples' opinions and you end up isolated, ill-informed.  Yes, opinions expressed here are not world-shaking, will not change anything, but heck, it's great to have your say!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-7 15:27:55 |Display all floors
There is a need for some good IT talents to come up with a way to prevent fake news, false opinions,... etc. on the internet. Otherwise, we all have to be careful and gather more information before coming to a conclusion. Cyber warfare between countries is conducted this way too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-7 16:15:41 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2018-8-7 15:27
There is a need for some good IT talents to come up with a way to prevent fake news, false opinions, ...

there is a good chance that 'IT talents' are working for those responsible for 'fake news' on all sides (they have deeper pockets)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.