Author: ceciliazhang

How do we stop people from littering?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-8-3 13:45:59 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2018-8-3 12:51
In Japan children are taught to clean up after themselves as part of the school curriculum - this wa ...

China is unlike Japan; Chinese students are only taught how to pass exams with high scores; lessons on civilised behavior is hardly taught, or if taught, only in passing, not emphasised! Students are often seen littering after school, after rushing in to neighborhood shops to buy goodies, then littering with the wrappers etc.
That's why China's standard of civil behavior lacks far behind Japan's, and indeed behind many other countries'!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-3 13:57:21 |Display all floors
Many scenic spots in China face to same littering problem; it is a nation-wide problem.  CCTV News once aired a news item with video clips, of park workers abseiling down steep mountain slopes to retrieve bags after bags of garbage; and workers in swim gear diving into lakes to retrieve garbage from the lakes bottom!!
And nearer to home, residential districts are always full of litte,r despite a large number of sweepers at work each day!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-3 13:58:52 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2018-8-3 12:51
In Japan children are taught to clean up after themselves as part of the school curriculum - this wa ...

Chinese students are taught how to pass exams with high score, not about littering!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-3 20:56:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Motika at 2018-8-3 14:45

Hefty fine and community duty picking up what other people throw away . For two weeks
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-8-4 04:46:04 |Display all floors
Yes I think harsh penalties are the answer. It is a $250 aud fine for littering where I live in Australia. Also put more bins around. And have public awareness campaigns along with awards for tidy communities and an annual clean up day like our Clean Up Australia Day would encourage citizens to take more pride in the cleanliness of their environment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-4 10:52:19 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2018-8-4 04:46
Yes I think harsh penalties are the answer. It is a $250 aud fine for littering where I live in Aust ...

"Also put more bins around."

Shows how little you understand the Chinese; 'put more bins' won't help, they throw garbage anywhere except into the bins.  There is no shortage of bins in China, but plenty of garbage outside the bins!

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-8-4 11:55:54 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-8-4 10:52
"Also put more bins around."

Shows how little you understand the Chinese; 'put more bins' won't h ...

I do not see any bins in the pictures. Chinese need to understand that people will not bring a rented bike or rented shoe covers back if the deposit is only very small and it is easier to just discard the items. Don't they smart guy. And put more bins around. I should see multiple bins in the pictures since this is the area where shoe covers are being removed.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.