Views: 1289|Replies: 2

USA self-destructing [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-7-24 12:51:21 |Display all floors
There is no need to confront the ever aggressive USA. It is self destructing under the
weight of a hopelessly outdated constitution written before the advent of the steam engine.
That constitution was written primarily by wealth slave owners.
Thanks to the second amendment the USA is now awash in handguns. There are more
privately held guns in the USA than there are people.
And now with laws like "stand your ground" it is OK to shot someone you disagree
with and have a fear of.
Add to that a president who preys upon people's prejudices, fears, and hatred
and you have a recipe for self destruction.

------------
Florida gunman will not be charged after killing man in parking dispute because of 'stand your ground' law

Andrew Buncombe -- The Independent -- July 23, 2018

A woman who watched as a man shot and killed her boyfriend in a Florida parking lot, has claimed the shooter “wanted someone to be angry at”, after police said they would not be charging him with any crime as a result of the state’s controversial self defence laws.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri announced he did not intend to charge 47-year-old Michael Drejka, who is white, over the shooting death of 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton, who is black. Mr Drejka shot and killed Mr McGlockton last week in a parking area outside a convenience store in Clearwater, 25 miles west of Tampa.

Video showed Mr Drejka aiming at and shooting Mr McGlockton as he sat on the floor, after Mr McGlockton had shoved him to the ground, after an argument over a parking space became heated. The video showed Mr McGlockton run back inside the store before falling to the ground. He died 30 minutes later after being taken to hospital.

Last Friday, a day after the incident, Mr Gualtieri, the police chief, told reporters he was not arresting or charging Mr Drejka because he believed his actions fell under Florida’s “stand your ground” law, which allows someone to use deadly force if they believe they are in mortal danger.

Mr Gualtieri said his office will forward the case to prosecutors for a final decision. “I don't make the law. I enforce the law. I'm going to enforce it the way it's written. Others can have the debate about whether they like it or not," he said, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

He said the case would be reviewed by the state attorney who will determine whether Mr Drejka should be charged. But he said prosecutors would have to provide “clear and convincing evidence that [he] was not entitled to use force”. Mr Drejka, who has yet to comment on the incident, owned the gun legally and possessed a concealed carry permit.

Florida’s stand your ground law went into effect on October 1 2005, but it became under intense scrutiny following the 2012 fatal shooting of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin. Police originally cited the law when they said they were not going to charge self-appointed community watchman George Zimmerman.

More than 480,000 people signed a petition calling for him to be prosecuted. He eventually stood trial, but was found not guilty on all charges.
---------------

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-24 16:16:55 |Display all floors
Sir, thank you for sharing this story which is very sad and indignant. I visited Tampa years ago. It is a serine small city. Almost no people in the street. I don't believe people there are so racist, but the fact is the fact.

The story was  reminiscent of the unarmed black teen was innocently shot to death by two white cops in St. Louis. The result was almost same as this story. The murderers were scot-free. Many numerous went to street, however it was not useful.

I agree that the USA is self-destructing as the title of the thread suggests. More and more people are stifled, and people will finally take up arms in order to live. Both Democratic and the Repblican just stand for the interests of the super rich and white, instead of the majority of the oridinary people. That's why I said on the forum that I support Donarld Trump who break up with all his allies, and rivals. Self-destructing can be so long that people can't just sit and wait.

Actually your comment would be the comment on the recent uneventful forum. It seemed to me that you would talk to me something like metaphor too. I know you imply nothing, but the idea just flashed through my mind at that moment. This is a throwaway comment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-27 11:40:25 |Display all floors
This and many other cases clearly show that Human Rights does not exist in the US, and yet bthe US continually lectures other countries about Human Rights; what a joke!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.