Author: seclusive

How to translate the line [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-25 08:45:24 |Display all floors
GreenNanning Post time: 2018-6-24 11:37
I think @seclusive has given an understandable version because how to interprete a poem, especially  ...

Hello, my web friend from Guangxi or "桂".==你好,廣西網友。
  Thanks for your kind reply.==多謝回覆善言。
  I have nott been here for about six years or longer. ==吾大約有六七年未到此版了。

Because of a unstable living and other factors, I couldn't connect the www web.
==由於居處不穩定以及其他因素,吾無法上萬維網。

It's ashamed to tell you that I've given up English learning since.
==慚愧,不瞞大家,這幾年基本上沒碰英文。

Now, I've moved into a new room of my own in a flat and connected the web.
==目下,已遷入新家並聯網。

As Loving ancient Chinese poetry, I hard logged in the Chinadaily BBS and asked the translation question above.
==緣於對中國古典詩詞之熱愛,吾費了不少力纔登入這里提問。

I hope you and others here can understand and put up with my verdant English, and give me your honest suggestion about the thread.
==希望大家理解吾英文表達之生澀,對此詩句之譯提出中肯之見。

PS. the Chinese character "往" means to walk from a low place to a high one.
==註:漢字”往”是指從低處行至高處。
SUNSET = HUMAN FATE

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-25 15:42:06 |Display all floors
Even the author himself does not know the text he writes carries so much connotion or implication, so I think a translator should not impose too much things of his understanding in a simple sentence.

Like in this poem, one fan thinks it is a description of a walk by the author to somewhere for leisure, but the critic believes the author wants to imply something so we need to decode it.

The problem is nobody cares about the feeling of a target reader. Do you think the reader (in America or Britain) is eager to know what happens in the poem? No, they have so many things to mind. They would rather check their mobile phone for World Cup news than read the rubbish done by a foreigner who presumes himself capable of translating.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-29 10:26:06 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-24 18:39
I can't understand the meaning of your sentence "When the poet wrote "xing" (walking) in Chinese, ...

It's strange that the reply I posted on 2018-6-26 11:56:36 disappeared.
  I have to re-post it as follows:
  Thank you very much for your patient explanation.
  It's a pity that you decided to quit on responding to this thread, and I wish you could stay here and lavish your critics on it.

I am not good at composing the Chinese classic rhythm poem such as Jue Ju and Lu Shi.
  I like to compose the Chinese Ci-poem as it rhythm or style is solid and and relevant to music.
SUNSET = HUMAN FATE

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-30 17:19:01 |Display all floors
@zhuhu1 was busy being engaged in quarreling with other web users so he cannot have time to look after this post, so leave him as he is

again I like to stress that it is not writing a paper, so you do not need to write so long a translation for just two short verses

a target reader, if he is interested in the poem, will find his resources to learn more about the subject, especially in today's web era, everything is so easy accessible

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.