Author: seclusive

How to translate the line [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-24 11:37:00 |Display all floors
I think @seclusive has given an understandable version because how to interprete a poem, especially a peom that was written many years ago, may vary from reader to reader; what is more, a translator is not supposed to do an over-analysis of the original because he is not writing a paper about the subject he translates.

I am told that @seclusive is a veteran moderator and user who has been active in various forums of English or translation in China during the web 2.0 age and whose influence and competence should not be underestimated or even questioned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-24 17:15:31 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-23 21:51
Being a good translator, you will have to go to the world of the poet,  imagining what you see in  ...

Thanks for your suggestion.
  I can't understand the meaning of your sentence "When the poet wrote "xing" (walking) in Chinese, it doesn't always mean "xing" but wondering, etc. in my understanding".
  Could you kindly explain what it means?
"Qiong", Chinese character "窮", here  is a key to the understanding of the poem. In my opinion, the author climbed the Zhongnan mountain, saw a spring water and found the spring source. He was glad and felt comfortable, so he wrote the poem.
  If we can use a simple or popular word to express the substance -”實質”-of a poem, we shall have a better understanding about a poet and his works, I think.
SUNSET = HUMAN FATE

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-24 18:39:49 |Display all floors

I can't understand the meaning of your sentence "When the poet wrote "xing" (walking) in Chinese, it doesn't always mean "xing" but wondering, etc. in my understanding".
  Could you kindly explain what it means?

First, you will have to understand the Chinese classic rhythe poem must adopt very terse style with certain characters in each couplet/verses as well as the poem will have to follow its rhythm, for example like dun, dun, dah, dah. That is called Ma ti bu (Horse Hooves steps)  for example, dun, dun, dah, dah, in Chinese rhythm terminology as you probably understand this since you mentioned about the first couplet, second couplet...

How could it be possible if the poet described how he walked along the brook in details with the limitation of characters and rhythm in each verse? I bet you couldn't either, if you put yourself in the shoes of the poet.

Besides that, this is also called "liu bai" in Chinese ink painting which means the poet will leave some space for the reader to imagine how he walked along the brook.

(to be continued)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-24 18:49:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by zhihu1 at 2018-6-24 18:51

Another post of mine is suspended for verification.

Put it bluntly you don't understand the poem and the ZEN connotation behind the verses and you have misunderstood Chinese characters "shui qiong".  

Please go search the analysis / interpretations of the poem via Baidu, before further discussion about the translation. This is the prerequsition of translation.

You know it is difficult to post in Chinese on Translation Tips as the posts with Chinese characters will be suspended.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-24 18:57:25 |Display all floors
Qiong doesn't mean "source", but means "end", "terminal" as it is in the Chinese idioms, i.e. Shan Qing shui jin; zhi qiong lv jie (at the end of one's wit)

Why did the poet mention about "sit back watching the gathering of clouds", which means the falling rain will refill the dried brook again sooner or later.

These two verses are metaphors.

You didn't read carefully my intrepreatations previously. Don't rush, and read my posts before you can understand.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-24 18:58:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by zhihu1 at 2018-6-24 19:01

Two other posts of mine have been being suspended.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-24 19:03:20 |Display all floors
I decide to quit on responding to this thread from now on.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.