Celebrity suicides increase suicide rates - Free Talk - Chinadaily Forum
Views: 2625|Replies: 8

Celebrity suicides increase suicide rates [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-6-9 22:36:02 |Display all floors
I hate most celebrities so when I hear that one of them has committed suicide it makes me feel very happy. I hate how the media acts as though we should all feel sad because some stupid celebrity has killed themselves though. It really annoys me. Why should we care that some wealthy celebrity that we don't even know has killed themselves anyway? It's always big news when any celebrity dies and we are all supposed to care. I read a headline the other day about some actor from the stupid TV show Sons of Anarchy dies the other day. God who cares? Good. But when a celebrity dies of suicide apparently its a much bigger deal and we get a lot more media coverage.

Who the hell has even heard of this Kate Spade person anyway? Come on. And we are supposed to care that she killed herself are we? Why? Why would people care about this? And this Anthony Bourdain guy kills himself right after it. I have seen this Anthony Bourdain guys stupid TV show for about a few minutes before I changed the channel due to how annoying he was. Who cares about Anthony Bourdain? Foodies? I wish more so-called 'foodies' would kill themselves and hopefully they will because statics say that suicide rates always increase following the suicides of celebrities.

As news of two celebrity suicides has upset many people around the world this week, it has presented a possibly lethal risk to a segment of the population: those already struggling with their own mental health issues.

“Here we have two people similar in age, with different fan demographics, but who both have young kids, and are well liked and well respected in their fields,” Julie Cerel, president of the American Association of Suicidology tells Yahoo Lifestyle regarding the suicides of both designer Kate Spade and chef/TV host Anthony Bourdain in recent days. “So people might say, ‘If their life is so bad, and they had everything, what hope is there for someone like me?’”

[size=1.154em]In other words, says Daniel Reidenberg, executive director of Suicide Awareness Voices of Education, “‘if they couldn’t make it, how can I?’” That’s why, he tells Yahoo Lifestyle, “we know that when there’s a celebrity suicide, it increases the risk of contagion.”

[size=1.154em]But reasons for suicide are complex, and anyone can be at risk, regardless of social or socioeconomic status. It’s a fact unfortunately proven not only by the deaths of the highly successful Spade, who was 55, and Bourdain, who was 61, but also by the jarring statistics of a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, released on Friday: that suicide rates are up 25 percent nationally, that they rose steadily in nearly every state between 1999 and 2016, and that, in 2016, there were more than twice as many suicides as homicides. Reasons for the spike, according to the report, range from problems with relationships and substance abuse to a physical health problem or “crisis” of some kind — issues that can affect anyone.

[size=1.154em]Still, when someone already thinking about suicide or dealing with any variety of mental health struggle learns that a celebrity at the top of his or her game has committed suicide, it can be dangerously triggering.

[size=1.154em]Both Cerel and Reidenberg point out that following the 2014 suicide of Robin Williams — news that Spades sister said this week had captivated Spade at the time — there was a rise in suicides nationally; one study put the subsequent rise at 10 percent in the months that immediately followed.

- Yahoo!

I remember my Dad was really happy when Robin Williams killed himself. He hated Robin Williams. He thought he was too noisy. And that he wasn't funny. He does this Robin Williams impression where he says "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM!" And then he will say something about why Robin Williams doesn't shut the hell up. And something about how yelling is not funny. Ha. Its pretty funny. Anyway - with all these headlines about celebrity suicide in the media over the last week we are certain to get an uptick in suicide rates.

So my question is do we blame Spade and Bourdain for the inevitable uptick in suicide rates that are coming or is it the media and people like China Daily Forum member Robert who has written threads about both of these suicides that have the blood on their hands for all of these extra people that will be slashing their wrists up the highway rather than across the street over the next few months?

In my opinion we must blame both the media and people like China Daily Forums Robert as well as these two dead celebrities for the coming increase in suicide over the next few months. I think that the best way to deal with these selfish and cowardly celebrities that commit suicide is to condemn them for their selfish acts rather than to excuse them by waffling on about so-called depression. If the media and Robert were not being sympathetic to these coward celebrities then I think less cowards out there were kill themselves because what are most so-called depressed people seeking anyway? They seek sympathy of course. Oh Boohoo! I have depression - everyone feel sorry for me. That basically sums up these depressed people and if they think that committing suicide will win them eternal sympathy then of course many of these cowards are going to finally go through with it. So the best idea is to make sure all of these selfish and pathetic 'depressed' cowards out there know that they will be remembered as the pathetic and cowardly scum that they were to selfishly take their own lives and leave behind their loved ones in unnecessary mourning, loss and sadness. Even if nobody loved these people it is clearly a downer for most strangers to hear about a suicide so all suicides should be seen as something that we collectively despise as a society and this should be reflected in the way that the media reports on these celebrity suicides.

If it was up to me I would tell all of the foodies of the world that yes they should kill themselves because this world would be a much better place without them. I would tell them that no - calling themselves 'foodies' in some pathetic attempt to seem interesting and to have some kind of hip identity is not working and that all they are doing is exposing their undeniable patheticness for everyone that has the misfortune of knowing them to see. I would tell them that they ate living breathing jokes of humans and that yes - they should do themselves and the rest of us a big favour and just put themselves out of their misery just like Anthony Bourdain has done. But at the end of the day I am all about the common good and I understand that suicides make most people feel sad so the best idea is to condemn these depressed people after they kill themselves and not beforehand.

What we should do about all of these so-called depressed people is stop babying them and giving them all this sympathy while they are alive. Instead we should tell them all to stop being selfish babies and to cheer up. Life wasn't meant to be easy and its about time these depressed babies accepted that and got on with their pathetic lives.

What do you guys think?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-6-9 22:37:24 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-6-9 22:50:15 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-11 08:27:02 |Display all floors
Hypotherapy or meditation can help.

A Western guy who suffered from depression told me that he would have died without practicing meditation. It is free and easy. Just sit and close your eyes and leave your brain blank. Of course, the random thoughts are weltering in your brains now and then, and you just focus on your breathes. Everytime, you can practice for 10 -30 minutes.

Depression is because the conscious mind repressed the feelings, emotions you have choked back. Once the negative feelings, emotions are too much to bear, they begin to attack people themselves. It's like a balloon into which you blow too much negative air, and the balloon explodes. So do people. They commit suicide.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-11 08:41:37 |Display all floors
Reverting to the negative reports you are talking about, I would say journalists always report negative news to the audience from murdering, traffic accidents, domestic violences, political scandals which would engage the attention of people's interest, curiority.

However that's not how the world looks like exactly. There are numerous positive people in the world, they are healthy, positive, caring, sunny.

Don't let negative news to distract our attentions and forget the sunshine outside.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-6-11 09:05:14 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-6-11 08:27
Hypotherapy or meditation can help.

A Western guy who suffered from depression told me that he wou ...

What I like to do is get very stoned and then jerk off.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-11 09:20:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by zhihu1 at 2018-6-11 09:21

Drug and alcohol play the similar role to numb the conscious mind, and set free the unconscious and people feel temperarily relaxed, however they would get people addicted.
Once depressed people become sobre, what I mean is the conscious mind dominates, they feel depressed again, and they would resort to drug or alcohol in order to feel good/high again, so people get addicted psychologically.

My two cents.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.