Afraid, ashamed and alone: Raped while studying in Australia - China & World - Chinadaily Forum
Views: 42397|Replies: 39

Afraid, ashamed and alone: Raped while studying in Australia [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-5-29 15:16:02 |Display all floors

(Al Jazeera) When Leu left her home in China and travelled to the Australian capital of Canberra to begin her undergraduate degree, she only had a vague idea of what awaited her.

She expected to find people who were white, tall and liked barbeques, but she says she wasn't prepared for a campus culture that featured drinking copious amounts of alcohol.

As she embarked on her studies at the prestigious Australian National University, Leu says she had a terrifying encounter that still gives her nightmares.

One night, Leu says, a friend of her housemate followed her back to her room on campus.

"I got pushed on the bed and I got raped ... He kept saying, 'I'll get what I want' ... I tried to reach for help. Didn't work. I couldn't find my phone … I couldn't move my hands, I could only scream," she tells 101 East.

'Soft targets: They don't know where to get help'

Half a million international students like Leu are studying in Australia this year. International education is the country's third-largest export industry, worth $18bn.

But the country's reputation as a safe place to study is under threat after widespread disclosures of rape and sexual assault.

An Australian Human Rights Commission survey found 1.6 percent of students experienced sexual assault in a university setting in 2015 or 2016. Based on student enrollment data, that equates to more than 22,000 students.

One in five were international students.

Health experts say international students can be particularly vulnerable, with many too scared or too ashamed to speak up if they have been assaulted.

"They are considered to be soft targets, and I think they're considered to be soft targets because they don't know where to go to get help," says Alison Coelho, who runs an outreach programme in Melbourne to educate international students about sexual health.

But now young women from countries including India, China and the Philippines have told their stories to Al Jazeera. None of the international students Al Jazeera spoke to had pressed criminal charges against their alleged attackers and most felt their universities did not provide adequate support.

They also spoke about how the stigma surrounding sexual harassment in their own cultures made it difficult to report the assault or even tell their families.

"It does feel like it's your fault," says Nishi, a 25-year-old recent graduate.

"Because your whole life, there's this other part of your culture that's been saying 'don't dress like that, don't behave like that, don't be western like that or else that will happen to you,' so then when it does happen to you, you're like 'Oh well, it's my fault.'"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-29 15:16:18 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-29 15:16:32 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-5-29 23:26:09 |Display all floors
Tell the would be rapist you are HIV.....it will likely work
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-5-30 07:33:20 |Display all floors
The rapist in the picture above has very dirty hands. Few university students have hands that dirty. I think the rapist in the picture above might be a coal miner from the 50s or something. Who has hands that dirty? They are filthy.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-5-30 07:44:44 |Display all floors
I never believe the statistics with stuff like this but less than 2% doesn't seem that high.

I just did an internet search to find the overall rate of sexual assault for women in Australia and some surveys claim 17% and others claim 25% and others different percentages but they are all well above 2%. Sounds like international students in Australia are a lot safer if they stay on campus. The best idea would be to stay away from Australia all together because we are clearly a nation of rapists and sexual assaulters. Its the same with most western nations but our racist media tries to blame it all on Muslims. I wonder how many women in Australia have been assaulted by a Muslim. I bet its $%$% all.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-5-30 07:47:15 |Display all floors
I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life but if its really so easy and so many people are doing it then maybe I should give it a crack.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.