How a debate 40 years ago paves way for China's modernization? - Page 6 - China Watch - Chinadaily Forum
Author: Grace222

How a debate 40 years ago paves way for China's modernization? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-5-16 09:11:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-16 09:14:25 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-16 15:54:56 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2018-5-16 09:11
It just so happened that the GLF policies caused The PRC’s economy to contract for two full years ...

Robert meant that China agreed to ship foodstuffs to the Soviet Union in exchange for atomic bomb technology and expertise. After the Sino-Soviet split in 1960, China then had to complete its atomic bomb project by itself. China relied on the Soviet Union for much of its defense industries during the first 10 years since its founding. Of course, China had to pay for those defense technologies by exporting foodstuffs to the Soviet Union during the GLF.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-16 17:21:01 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-16 17:33:16 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-5-16 15:54
Robert meant that China agreed to ship foodstuffs to the Soviet Union in exchange for atomic bomb  ...
After the Sino-Soviet split in 1960, China then had to complete its atomic bomb project by itself.

I don't know what Chinese think, but foreign studies of this period suggest that China would not have been able to achieve the nuclear weapon at all, without the early support from Soviet Union.

Personally I agree with those studies to the extent that China could not have completed it completely on her own while Mao lived. Later, perhaps.

But then big if would have been, that starting from Deng, China's economy became increasingly dependant on western markets, and it may not have been politically feasible to develop nukes in middle of that - especially since everyone else was (at least on paper) reducing them. And on paper I mean signing to nuclear disarmament agreements.

Of course, at least Robert would say that USA would have invaded China without the nukes, so later would have been too late anyway.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-5-16 18:42:14 |Display all floors
Corporal Gay and Zsa Zsa seem to be learning at least a little.
The former USSR would not have helped China obtain nuclear deterrence without all the
goods shipped to Russian during the Great Leap Forward.
With the west's 500 years history of worldwide genocide for land, wealth, and power China
knew it was suicide to trust the west. Mao took control of things and did what it took to
keep China from the jaws of western imperialism.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-18 07:41:45 |Display all floors
It often takes 50 years (sometimes 100!) before people calm down and the truth emerges. I do think that (on balance) the CPC has benefited China. Its terrible mistakes are out-weighed by its organizing ability. The Kuomintang was less efficient and more corrupt. The effectiveness of the CPC was because of its creation of trained and disciplined cadres not because of Marxism.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.