Author: ceciliazhang

China is innovating faster than you imagine [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-19 22:21:18 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-4-18 18:44
Couldn't agree with you more. China should speed up the development of its own technology. China h ...

Today it costs 3 to 4 billion USD to build a state of the art semiconductor fab.
The record is approaching 10 billion for the biggest fab.
China can easily afford its own now while in the US it's become an issue.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-21 11:55:29 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-4-19 15:22
Your hilarious spoof of a street peddler reminds me of my “vacation” to Madagascar which is part ...
Africa. My wife and I were constantly harassed by street hustlers trying to sell us something or provide us some “services”

I've experienced the same in West Nanjing Road in Shanghai.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-21 14:59:22 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-19 21:21
Careful there.

You sound exactly like Cecil Rhodes or King Leopold in judging native Afreicans ...

That was told to me by a European — a French guy — who moved to Madagascar to escape the high cost of taxes and high cost of living in France. He owned and ran a boutique hotel but decided to sell after getting burned out from the hassles of doing business in Madagascar. I don’t view his remarks as racist — his wife is a local beauty — just a reflection on the realities of life there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-21 15:08:39 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-4-21 11:55
I've experienced the same in West Nanjing Road in Shanghai.

Here’s your five euros.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-21 17:33:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-21 17:35:49 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-21 18:25:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2018-4-22 02:35
seneca Post time: 2018-4-21 17:33
Maybe. Then again you still sounded exactly like Cecil Rhodes. It didn't surprise me. Chinese wh ...

I know what you mean — East Asians tend to judge other Asians in a similar vein — due to cultural differences. I refrain from commenting about other ethnicities due to my years of living in multicultural California which has sensitized me to ethnic stereotyping. But East Asians live in racially and ethnically homogeneous societies so they (or shall I say “we”)  tend to be too judgemental about other ethnic groups whose cultures or histories we know nothing about.

My apologies if my earlier comments offended you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.