Author: ceciliazhang

China is innovating faster than you imagine [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-19 10:29:58 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-19 09:54
Africans are poorer than Westerners and they are forced to buy cheap throw-away Chinese crud inclu ...

1. China does not export its pharmaceuticals which is sold mostly to domestic consumers.
2. Chinese drug companies manufacture generic drugs while foreign MNCs produce branded drugs.
3. China wants local companies to invest in biotech R&D to produce more profitable products.

India, by the way, is the world’s largest exporter of generic drugs, including to Africa.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-19 10:34:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-19 10:44:46 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-4-18 17:10
China’s State-directed system of innovation is too conservative with too much focus on adopting old ...

Couldn't agree with you more. China should speed up the development of its own technology. China has the currency reserves to fund this development.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-19 15:22:20 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-19 10:34
Well, well, you have never been to Africa - there, I merely paraphrased a big, fat oaf's standa ...

Your hilarious spoof of a street peddler reminds me of my “vacation” to Madagascar which is part of Africa. My wife and I were constantly harassed by street hustlers trying to sell us something or provide us some “services” such as carrying our luggage. Our car for hire broke down in the middle of our road trip which we arranged after our  flight was canceled due to a pilot strike. We were stopped by the police several times who demanded bribes.

But yeah you’re right that Chinese merchants sell mostly cheap crud to poor Africans but you’re wrong to say that they resort to hustling on the streets to sell their wares. Most of them are importers who sell only on a wholesale basis to African resellers who come to “China Malls” to buy those cheap crud. In fact, something like 30% of Africa’s GDP depends on this informal sector of petty trading of Chinese-made stuff. That’s tens of millions of jobs for African peddlers which is better than bombing them to Kingdom Come.

That business is dying though as land and labor costs rise in China. Now it’s Africa’s turn to manufacture those cheap stuff with help from Chinese entrepreneurs.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-19 15:51:25 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-19 17:15:54 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-19 15:51
Yes, yes, I will retract my bruising claim that zou have never been to Africa. You have, and app ...

Not traumatized but surprised at how Africans live. There is not a lot of crime in Madagascar unlike other parts of Africa as told to me by our driver who’s of Malayo-Polynesian ethnic stock. Those Asians seem to be more hardworking than the indigenous Africans who seem to enjoy a life of loafing around.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-19 21:21:39 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.