Author: english2008

欢迎大家探讨:第三十届韩素音翻译竞赛(汉译英) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-4-4 17:10:01 |Display all floors
It is the time for us to re-cook this pot of meat after a long time of cooling down.
first I think it is good to know why the author writes the words and what his real intention is.
second is the treatment of the sentences, there is a jargon for that, but I am not a professional in that field, so I scrap that word.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-25 11:15:35 |Display all floors
waiting

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-28 21:16:10 |Display all floors
地名中的传统文化含量

Traditional Cultural Connotations in Place Names

中国具有悠久的文明历史,留下了丰富多彩的历史篇章。历史有时间与空间这两个维度,直白地说,历史就是人们在一定的时间和特定空间创造的事件。时间是流动的,“逝者如斯夫,不舍昼夜”。空间却相对的固化,“人生代代无穷已,江月年年只相似。”(张若虚《春江花月夜》)。读万卷书,行万里路。书中所见是历史的时间地图;路中所见是历史的空间地理。而空间地理首先是从地名反映出来的。

China civilization enjoys a long-standing history during which rich and splendid chapters have been written. History has dual dimensions: temporal and spatial. Frankly speaking, history is an event created by people in given space. Time is forever flowing, just as Confucius said, “how it flows on, never ceasing, day and night”! Yet space is relatively immobile, as a Chinese poet in the Tang Dynasty wrote, “generations have come and passed away; from year to year the moons look alike, old and new.” (Zhang Ruoxu, A Moonlit Night over the Spring River) As a Chinese proverb goes, read more and travel more. What is read in the book is the temporal map of history, while what is seen on the road is the spatial geography of history. And it is from place names that the spatial geography is first mirrored.

年轻的时候读书,有机会到河南、陕西、山西、甘肃等地考察,每每见到《史记》、《资治通鉴》中常见的历史地名,在现实中就呈现在我走过的这条路旁的界标上,总是感慨万千,油然升起一种穿越历史时空的苍茫感。中国悠久的历史和文化仿佛就在身边,并不那么遥远。

When I was pursuing my studies as a young man, I got opportunities to visit provinces like Henan, Shaanxi, Shanxi and Gansu. Every time I came across historical place names commonly found in Shi Ji or Zi Zhi Tong Jian appearing on the boundary markers set by the roads I was travelling along, all sorts of feelings would well up inside me, among which a special one would always rise of itself that I seemed to have travelled through time and space and returned to ancient times. In this respect, China’s time-honored history and culture are not that far away from me; instead, they are just around the corner.

地名是故乡的第一记忆。西晋末年,永嘉南渡,不少北方士民,被战争所驱迫,离乡背井,迁徙到遥远的南方去,他们不知道什么时候能回到故土。于是,设置了很多侨置的州县,沿用北方故土的名字。用地名保留故乡记忆是人类共同的感情。大航海之后的殖民扩张时代,欧洲人到了美洲、澳洲,给自己新的居住地,安上故乡的旧地名,这在美国、加拿大、澳大利亚,可以说是比比皆是,司空见惯。

The place name is the primary reminder of hometown. During the period of Yongjia Migration in the last years of the Western Jin Dynasty, a good number of northern officials, scholars and the populace, forced by the war, left their homes and migrated to the far south, not knowing when they could return home. As a result, many prefectures and counties were set up there named after those in the northern homeland. It is common sentiment of mankind to preserve hometown memories by means of place names. In the era of colonial expansion after the Age of Sail, Europeans gave the old names of their homeland places to the new places of residence after they arrived in the Americas and Australia, which is quite common and can be seen everywhere in the United States, Canada, and Australia.

由此想到,当下的中国,许多地名是否能很好地保留祖先的历史记忆,传导深厚的历史文化底蕴?值得我们反思。

In this connection, can contemporary Chinese place names preserve the historical memory of our ancestry well and pass down the profound historical and cultural heritage? It is a question worth our reflection.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.