How do you think about vocational education? - Page 4 - China Watch - Chinadaily Forum
Author: SEARU

How do you think about vocational education? [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-10 04:30:13 |Display all floors
Psychological security is more important than actual security. That's why no Australian wants to learn a trade even though they can earn more money doing a trade than a low university worker like a teacher.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-10 08:24:02 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-10 08:29:27 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-10 09:20:15 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-2-10 08:29
I quite agree with you there this once. Chinese use a very parochial U.S. American English and don ...

Yes Americans are very dumb and they sound dumb when they talk. I don't think anyone could disagree with this if they are being honest.

I am a great hairdresser you know. I cut my own hair and when I was a teenager I used to cut my friends hair a lot. Sometimes I would take the blade off and shave their heads before they realized. This was way before Jackass.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-10 09:29:17 |Display all floors
I quite agree with you there this once. Chinese use a very parochial U.S. American English and don ...

But yeah - why would Chinese choose to speak like Americans rather than Englishmen? I think we can all agree that the English are the best at speaking English. Not the ones from Liverpool or wherever that say Ospital and Par'y. But come on. Why speak like an American? It is madness.

Have you ever seen the film A Yank at Oxford?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-10 09:30:54 |Display all floors

Even Australians think Yanks are dumb. Our upperclassmen identify with English and Europeans over Yanks. Any self respecting educated Yank must be ashamed to be American.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 09:32:15 |Display all floors
Technical trades around the world go by different names. In Canada, we have machinists, millwrights, welders, pipe-fitters, plumbers, millworkers, carpenters, glaziers, bricklayers, etc. All of these trades, or "vocations" (hence the name, 'Vocational School'), are highly skilled, highly paid jobs. In China, they are all lumped under one name ... "workers". In Canada, if you were to use the label "worker", that would invoke an idea that the person had an unskilled, minimum wage ($10.00 - $15.00/hr (50 RMB - 75 RMB/hr)) job, such as a fast-food restaurant worker. A skilled tradesman, however, can earn between ($30.00 - $45.00/hr (150 RMB - 225 RMB/hr)). A typical workday is 8 hrs (you do the math).

Let's look at the Machinist trade. What does a machinist have to know in order to do his job? Mathematics. A lot of it! Trigonometry and Geometry, mostly. Also Algebra. He/She also has to know Metallurgy and Metrology. A machinist also has to be able to work within very tight tolerances, often down to 0.0001 inch (0.00254 mm). To give you an idea of how small that is, the average human hair is only 0.003 inches (0.0762 mm) thick. He/She also has to know how temperature affects metals, plastics, wood, and other materials. A machinist has to know about cutting oils, lubricants, and other chemical compositions which can affect materials. \it is a very complex trade, with many skills involved. If I was to call a machinist a "worker", they would be very insulted, indeed. If it wasn't for the machining trades, much of what we have would never exist, for machinists make the molds that create things like plastic bottles, eyeglass cases, laptop parts, etc. Machinists make the machines which mass-produce chopsticks, matches, drinking straws, knives, forks, spoons, pots, and pans, etc. Car parts, airplane parts ... everything in our modern world that is manufactured by a machine ... was originally made by a machinist.

What the Chinese call a "worker", is actually a very skilled person, and should be a highly valued member of society.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.